Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Bulk emailers and PIX

Status
Not open for further replies.

webnetwiz

MIS
Mar 30, 2001
US
Hey, everyone. My email server receives about 100 identical emails from Ebay and a few other bulk mailers. It seems that the PIX does not send through an acknowledgement to the sender's mail server that the message has been received. This only happens to a few bulk mailers, cause others (like this forum) go through just fine. It's not my email server, because the logs and user mailboxes confirm that sender's server contacts my email server at a certain interval.

Any ideas? For now, I do have the fixup protocol smtp 25 enabled, but I'm thinking of turning it off.

Hi!

Also noticed this with PIX? Could you provide me more info on this if you have some? thanks.

Fixed the problem by disabling the MailGuard feature.
Command: pix#(config)no fixup protocol smtp 25

Let me know if it works for you.

Careful turning off MailGuard. Make sure you check your SMTP server regularly. Perhaps install a Host Based IDS on the mail server. The PIX was blocking a whole bunch of less than good SMTP commands. You'd be much more vulnerable to several simple SMTP hacks with MailGuard off.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back