Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

(Built-in) Standard Renaming Strategy

Status
Not open for further replies.

PPLBUD

Programmer
Dec 17, 2002
US
Hi,

Has anyone been able to override or bypass this strategy so it does not change the name format of a table/field when dragging it into the structure pane?

For example, in my universe I inserted a SQL Server table called Lookup_Region with a field called RegionTypeName. When I drag it to the structure pane the class name becomes Lookup Region (without underscore) and the object name is Regiontypename.

I would like to be able to keep the same table/field names as defined in the database. I could change it back manually but it is too much when dealing with many objects.

Is this possible with an external strategy? If so, are there any SQL Server examples on how to do this?

I am using BO 5.1.6

Thank you,
David Garcia

Hi,
is the inserting table coming from oracle. In that case in the Data Access folder of BO , change the SQL (remove the translate function in the SQL)in the stora7EN.txt file and then try creating the class and object.

i tried it myself but it did not work. please try and let me know

and as steve asked why would you ever want to do this, since the whole objective is to make the class and object name more legible for the user rather than techi names.

Thanks for your response. Unfortunately, I have not been able to get around it. BTW, I am using SQL Server 2000 OLEDB.

Why would I want to do this? Basically, I am creating a universe for our Research dept and they would like to keep their existing field names (which are fairly descriptive already). As you can imagine, being a research group they have a lot of tables/fields.

I agree that BO should provide the semantic layer for the users but in this rare case the user group insists on keeping the underlying field descriptions.

Would like to know if there are any sample external strategy files for SQL Server out there to use as a reference?

Thanks,
Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back