Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Built a System and it doesn't boot - no Beeps

Status
Not open for further replies.

TFK

IS-IT--Management
Dec 9, 2003
US
Hey everyone, I need some help.

I just put a system together, and nothing is happening.

I have a standard ATX Case. Asus A7N8X-E Motherboard. AMD 3200XP CPU. Surepower 450W Power Supply and 1 512MB PC3200 DDR Ram.

I put it all together, along with the Hard Drive from my old PC, power it up, and the CPU fan kicks on, the HD and the CD Rom Drive light up, and that's about it. No beeps or nothing.

I've reset the CMOS already and checked to see that everything is seated properly.

Any ideas?

TFK

None of that seemed to help. Got anything else?

Thanks.

TFK

I replaced the C-mos with a new battery and that did the trick.

Thanks for the FAQ.

TFK

Thats strange that you couldnt get the machine to boot just because the battery was dead. Never heard of that one.
I just started an old computer and it booted up fine with no battery in it at all. The battery was not a standard 2032 and instead it was a 2340 which is much larger, so i went and got one the next day, but it still booted and i still was able to get into the bios with no battery.
Different setup i guess.

Good advice + great people = tek-tips

On some systems, if the hard drive has the wrong parameters, the computer won't boot. Bad battery - lose CMOS - no boot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back