Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Building up a form in word

Status
Not open for further replies.

aitchi

Programmer
Dec 13, 2001
ZA
Hi

I need insert txt from a a txt file into multiple rows in a table.

thread707-175618 gives the basics of adding and controling txt entry into a table but I need to take it further.

Essentially I am building up a legal precident of multiple lines and I want to allow the lawyers to control what is inserted. My idea is to store all the relevant options in a txt file and then insert them using yes no tick boxes in a control form. That way they can be prompted in adding the relevant sections based on what the case encorporated and then it will spit out a completed precident for checking. I would obviously have originally stored the txt in access but do not want the end users to need a copy of access on their desktop just to insert the txt.

Any ideas would be appreciated

Stuart

You could hold ALL the text in a Word table, a cell for each precident. Create a userform, in Word, that has a number of check boxes on it, each relating to a particular cell of the Word table. The user would check or uncheck the necessary boxes then push the 'go' button. A macro could delete all the cells containing the text that is not required.
This removes the Access and Text file elements.

What do you reckon?

M.

Thanks Mo,

Yes, I had thought of that angle and I think it would work. Problem is whether its easier to start with the complete table and just delete or to hold everything in the text file and add in as you go along.

If I go the deleting route then there is no option of adding in pieces later if there is an afterthought. You would essentially have to start afresh. with the form.

I will let you know how I come out with the final solution.

Regards
Stu

Hi,
Using Mossoft's approch, your process for building or appending the table could compare what's there, if anything, and not insert into the table if it is already there. Skip,
metzgsk@voughtaircraft.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back