Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Building PC Problem 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

mzysk

IS-IT--Management
Jan 18, 2005
US
Hi
I just put a pc together and I have a issue I know everything is connected in the right places I hope. Everytime I turn the PC everything lights up for about 5 second and it shuts off. When I turn off the power on the back of the power supply and switch it on again it comes up for a bout 5 seconds and it does the same thing. I don't know if my board is bad or my cpu everything came out of the box new. I don't know if this helps but the case didn't have HDD Led and Power Led. Power supply has a main plug that goes into the board and a smaller cube kind of a connector that goes into the board but my board dosent have a place for it. Please Help . Thank you

Not all boards support that and that connector is for amd boards. I had a board that did that and it was bad. Unhook everything from the board except the power switch to turn it on. Turn the board on if it still shuts off after 5 seconds you have a faulty board unless somethings shorting it. So make sure nothings shorted and if it isnt and it shuts off call the company and get an rma request.

mzysk,

You have not provided much information i.e. mobo mdl mfg, CPU type etc.

If you purchased the CPU and the heat sink separately, did you use the thermal compound/tape between it and the cpu. This is to allow the CPU to cool properly.

The condition yu describe can be caused by the CPU auto-shuting down due to overtemp.

rvnguy
"I know everything..I just can't remember it all

I would also check to see if the heatsink is seated properly on the CPU and check your power supply

The most common assembly mistake are:

1)You have fitted the heatsink fan unit 180degrees out (On socket A motherboards the recess in the base of the heatsink must be positioned so it is located over the raised cam box on the CPU socket) get this wrong and it could well have been instant overheating and death for your processor (heatsink paste is also an absolute MUST!)

2)The CPU fan must be connected to the CPU header pins on the motherboard, a lot of mainboards need to sense a spinning fan on this header or will shut down in 5 seconds flat lol.

3)Clear the cmos (usually simple 3 pins, the jumper needs to be across two of them in the run postion)

4)You have fitted too many brass standoff mounting posts and one or more is shorting the motherboard to earth.

5)Your power supply has failed (yes! the PSU can give the impression of power but may have failed on one of it's rails) one symptom can be turning quickly off.

6)Your main power plug, graphics card or memory are not seated correctly (best reseat everything)

7)Power or reset buttons stuck IN? or header wires not in the correct positions.

8)You have got IDE or floppy drive cable orientation wrong (red stripe to pin 1)

Martin

We like members to GIVE and not just TAKE.
Participate and help others.

CPU Fan must be plugged into the CPU fan plug on the motherboard.

What is the Motherboard Brand and Model?

What is the CPU Model and Number?

A typical problem with this is grounding the case to the motherboard. How did you mount the motherboard. Make sure the back of the motherboard does not touch the metal part of the case. Even a mounting post can cause the motherboard to ground out.

If you do not like my post feel free to point out your opinion or my errors.

Thanks guys I will double chack everything tonight and let you know how it went. If nothing happened I will post all the components I have. Thanks once again.

@electronicsfreak - that Connector is not AMD specific... FYI... otherwise I would have a wrong match in my PC case... My board (P4PE-x) is a Pentium Board and needs and supports this 4 pin Plug...

Ben

"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."

I thought that 4pin power connector initially was used and meant for P4 systems and then for AMD systems it started to get used later on down the line just to supply an extra bit of power (I don't know what that power is for, I don't claim to know that much but if anyone does I'd be interested to know :eek:))

Thanks guys
I followed all of your posts and PAPARAZI was the winner I had too many brass standoff mounting posts I took some out added few plastic posts and everything came up with one beep. Thanks to all once again.

mzysk,

Thank you for posting back with your solution. This assistes the whole community.

paparazi: I agree with "edfair" a good group of points for a "FAQ"

Star for you!

rvnguy
"I know everything..I just can't remember it all

@UnlimCompSol - be glad you got 120v and it was set to 230v, ergo no problem just annoying... otherway around and up in smoke it would've been...

Ben

"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back