Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Building new Sequel 2005 Server

Status
Not open for further replies.

goickle

IS-IT--Management
Jan 9, 2006
US
I have five small servers that have small applications running on Sequel Server 2005 32 bit standard. I am planning in VMWare to build a dedicated Sequel 2005 Server and moving the DBs to this server. They are all relatively small DBs only a couple of GB in size. The largest is a single 11GB instance.

I want to make sure the server I build will be able to handle these and any other DBs that we may need.

I plan on building the new server with Windows Server 2003. Is it worth it to run 64 bit and enterprise version? Should I also run Sequel 64 bit? Can I still run 32 bit DBs on a 64 bit server? We do not currently have any 64 bit applications but do not know what the future will hold.

Thanks

You can run a database backup from a 32bit verion of sql server to a 64 bit version of sql server. To answer your questio regarding is it worth it. You are the only one who can predict the future demands of you organization. However I would not personally use an enterpise edition of sql server that will not utilize all of its features with very small database sizes. But that is with out knowing all f what these databases will be used for.

With Great Power Comes Great Responsibility!!! [afro]

Michael

I plan to install on Windows Server 2003. Is the Standard OS good enough or are their any other benefits to going with the Enterprise OS?

No benefit to enterprise OS over Standard with regard to MS SQL server.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back