Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Building new iis server

Status
Not open for further replies.

kusdjeff

MIS
Apr 4, 2002
US
I am in the process of building a IIS server that will host 1 ftp and 2 On the new server, I have dual NIC's. I'm not sure if I should dedicate one NIC for each service or team them together with 2 ip's?

Any suggestions?

I would team them together for reduncancy failover that way if one nic fails the other is still operational and your ftp and are still accessible.

Chris,
teaming them together is a great idea, except you can't put the same IP on two different NICS. How would you point clients to the other nic?

If you can figure out how to point clients to the other nic in the even of a failure I would assign all websites to "All Addresses" and use host headers to difereniate (sp) the sites.

On another note, NICs failing does happen, but if your server is where you can get to it and you have something that can monitor the nics, putting two nics in a server is kind of pointless because you can get to it and replace the NIC easily.

Also, If your server is in a remote data center then what I would do (or rather what I did) was to have two seperate NICs in each server, if NIC one fails, I can remote in using the other nic, and move the IPs over the the working nic.
It works but it's not automatic.

Thanks for the replies... Through the management software that is included with the server/NIC's, you can 'team' the 2 NIC's together to use the same ip address. The included software manages the load balancing/fault tolerance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back