Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Building my own pc 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

dwilko

Technical User
Feb 20, 2002
GB
I want to build Pc but not sure about if all compants will work together the system I want to build is:

Intel Celeron NetBurst 1.7Ghz Rtl
Skt478 Retail Boxed inc Cooler

256Mb DDR (PC2100) 266

Soltek SL85DRV4 (Skt478)Motherboard

40Gb Maxtor D/Max Plus 8 7200rpm

64Mb XFX Geforce 4MX 420 Rtl
64Mb DDR memory & TV-Out

3.5 Floppy Disk Drive 1.44Mb

Toshiba x16 x48 DVD

Microsoft Intellimouse PS/2

Genius Comfy KB-18M Multimedia
18 Additional Hotkeys & Palm Rest

15inch Proview KX 562NS

Genius SP-G16 320W PMPO (Speakers)

ATX Midi Tower H-01 (300W)

More info about these can be found here

Is there anything I have Missed

Thanks ________________________________________
I help Where I can

JTB Thats why I put the details of the computer I want to build so that I can make sure that all of the compants will work together with no problems

I didn't want argument over which processor is the better one

If I want to spead more money on a P4 the I will thats my choice

I am not going to get a Intel Celeron NetBurst 1.7Ghz I am going to get a P4
And a XFX GEFORCE MX 440 - 64MB DDR TV OUT
insted of a XFX GEFORCE MX 420

Will all of the compants Work together With No Problems

dwilko, I could understand your stubbornness on buying Intel if money was no object. I will not try to convince you that AMD is a great product but you should understand that you will pay quite a bit more for a P4 chip and you should stop asking to find the cheapest prices. Like most things in this world, you get what you pay for!! To just blindly buy Intel because of something you read in a magazine two years ago is not too smart. Like I said I am not trying to change your mind, just make your decision based on facts, not on a 'head in the sand' mentality. "Great minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, small minds discuss people."

--Admiral Hyman G. Rickover

Dwilko

My advice, for what it's worth, is don't bother. I've been around for 20+ years doing this and I can tell that you will buy yourself a load of bother.

If you spend a little bit more and buy from a reputable retailer (HP) you won't have (many) problems, but if you try to mix and match with price in mind, you'll forever be logged onto this site.

Sorry to kill the euphoria.
Regards
Phil [roll1]
Ne auderis delere orbem rigidum meum!

Check out the "Buying Hardware" articles in the FAQ area and enjoy the wonders of stable computing.

Well it is nice to know exactly whats in your PC and if you get the right parts it will be just as stable, and usually cheaper to do it yourself.

But it is nice just to bypass the hassle and buy a complete package, just make sure you know exactly what parts are inside.

isn't a Maxtor D/Max Plus 8 an ATA-133 HD?
for your mother board, you can save some
money buy an ATA-100, it will do you just fine.

ff

if i m build my own pc.
i ll buy some KT-266 or KT-333 mb
w/ pc2100 and a Athlon XP1600 processor.
either buy a XP1600 or buy something on the very high end
there's not much difference between XP1600 to XP1900
i think there's a topic on this forum before about the
athlon processors.
can't find it.

ff

dwilko,
This is what I recommend for building a PC.

Don't buy from computer shows or on-line sites if
you don't have to. Try to locate a computer shop
in your area and buy as many parts from them as possible.
Preferrably a store that is "owner occupied". Visit it several times, ask questions and get prices on things before you buy. Try to become a familiar face to them. Let them know that you want to build a system yourself. Give them an idea of what your budget is. I am sure they will want to help you get the correct parts. I would also recommend letting them mount the processor and memory for you. A cpu hs/fan can be tricky to mount and if it is not done correctly will damage the board or crack/fry the cpu. They can help you find a good case that has descent ps,proper drive clearance and room for future expansion.
Having the proper case, power supply and a descent mother board should be your foundation for building a system.
Also, many shop owners will give you a discount when you
pay with cash. I am not knocking shows or online buying,
but I prefer to deal with someone "face to face" when discussing purchases of anything. I also like knowing where
I can find them if there are problems afterwards.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back