Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Building multiple projects in one VS solution

Status
Not open for further replies.

JScannell

Programmer
Jan 9, 2001
US
I have a VS 2017 solution that hase two projects in it (I would like to add others if I can get the problem resolved). One of them produces an .exe file (should be the startup project) and another project that produces a .dll. If I make a change to a module in the .dll project and then initiate a "Start Debugging (F5)" action, I want to make sure that the dll compiles as well as the exe. However, that isn't the case. Changes made to the dll code aren't reflected in that case. If I make changes to the dll code, I have to separately do a build of it before hitting the F5 key.

There are two projects but the one that produces the exe has to be the startup project, but I need changes made to any subordinate dll to force a re-build when I do a solution-related build. In the "Project Dependencies" I tried making the startup project "Depends on:" the dll project thinking that that would make it build, but it still didn't work like I thought it would.

Am I doing something wrong? Or is that how this should work?

Thanks in advance,
Jerry

Jerry Scannell

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back