Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Building Dynamic web pages?

Status
Not open for further replies.

usp004

ISP
Jul 10, 2000
US
I am going to be building a dynamic web page as part of an application. The page will have a standard look an feel such as Header Info, Detail Info, and a SUBMIT button. However the fields that make up the header and detail info will change depending on which "user" is logged in. The fields may also need to have different HTML tags... for example... two users may use the same field, but one may have an Input Box and one my have static display.

I was thinking of storing the field(and html tag type) information in a table and building the page from that table. Does anyone have experience with this type of development? How would you tackle this one?

I appreciate your feedback.
Thanks.
[sig][/sig]

Perhaps IFRAMEs would be what you need to use for this.

Rob [sig]<p>Rob<br><a href=mailto:robschultz@yahoo.com>robschultz@yahoo.com</a><br>~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~<br>
"Focus on the solution to the problem,<br>
not the obstacles in the way."<br>
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~[/sig]

Rob,

Can you give me a little more detail. I've never worked with IFRAME's before.

Thanks for your help [sig][/sig]

No problem...

default.html -
Code:
<html>
<body>
Here is some header info
<iframe src=&quot;user.html&quot; height=50 width=100% name=ifTest id=ifTest frameborder=0 scrolling=no align=center vspace=0 hspace=0 marginwidth=0 marginheight=0>Your system doesn't support IFRAMEs</iframe>
</body>
</html>

user.html
Code:
<html>
<body>
 Here is some user code.
</body>
</html>

Since you are using ASP there are other methods of accomplishing this. This is the easiest but not every browser supports IFRAME. 4.0+ browsers do though.

Later, [sig]<p>Rob<br><a href=mailto:robschultz@yahoo.com>robschultz@yahoo.com</a><br>~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~<br>
"Focus on the solution to the problem,<br>
not the obstacles in the way."<br>
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~[/sig]

I have to support a minimum of Netscape 4.0 which I don't think supports IFRAMES.

When Building my HTML document dynamically I want to let the data in the database drive the dynamic building of the document. The only problem I am seeing is that depending on what type of field will be displayed (ex text, input box, select) I have to store different attributes. Could I store the HTML tags (codes) in a table and then reference another table storing Attribute information?? Would this work? [sig][/sig]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back