Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

building case

Status
Not open for further replies.

garwain

Programmer
Jan 30, 2002
CA
I've been looking around and have come to the conclusing that if I'm going to get the 450W PSU my system needs in order to be able to restart properly, I can't afford to get the full tower I want at the same time, so I'm thinking of picking up some fiberglass and building a tower myself. The one think I want to know is: Does the board have to ground on the mounting posts or would mounting it to the fiberglass be OK?

Thanks.

Doesn't have to be mounted to metal.
But there are considerations you need to know about. A M/B and processor create radio frequency signals that are transmitted by the traces on the board acting as antennas. So if you don't have a metal case you may create RFI for your neighbor's house. And if it creates a problem you can be forced to shut the equipment down. Ed Fair
unixstuff@juno.com
Any advice I give is my best judgement based on my interpretation of the facts you supply. Help increase my knowledge by providing some feedback, good or bad, on any advice I have given.

Just think......you get a free radio too :) Sorry guys I couldn`t resist that one. If your unsure....Dont do it!

I would think as long as you earthed back to the power supply chassis from one of the earth points on the motherboard it would be OK! Martin Just trying to help, sometimes falling short, I am only human after all.

It's really not as big as a deal as you may think. The voltage on the m/b is so low in the first place, I doubt any real interference would take place.

I know many people that have built cases out of MDF, plexiglass, and fiberglass - no problems with interference yet.

I agree though, if you want to be safe, just ground it to the ps.

Thank you all. I have read about the interferance issues, but the I'm living on a farm in the middle of nowhere, so it would take a lot of work to affect the neighbour... I might mess up my radio, or tv, but that's about it.

Thanks again for the info, If I don't get a good price on a case+PSU, I'll let you know how the project goes.

You could use a slide-out metal tray from an old computer case and build the rest around that. A Power supply is probably pretty heavy and may need some support unless you put it on the bottom. Ive seen some home built cases done in an old tool box or something like stacked milk crates, or old ammo boxes. You need some sort of shelves or something to mount the drives on. An old army footlocker or Cedar Chest may be nice with digital readouts.

I have thought about using a pair of old Speaker Cases I have sitting around. They have a lot of wasted space inside of them. Another idea is a toolbox on wheels Or just put everything in a desk drawer. People are always selling old desks at yardsales. I guess it would take a little ingenuity. I dont really like most computer layouts anyway. If you do not like my post feel free to point out your opinion or my errors.

I think it will work just make sure you have proper ventilation so your computer doesn't overheat I would install a couple cooling fans and make sure you ground you motherboard properly because it is usually grounded through the case
David@Daw Corp, 1999-2002

Actually heat is one of the main reasons I'm thinking about this project. I've picked up a bunch of fans, and a fanbus, and got to thinking about the power drain on my already taxed system. My solutions is probably going to be a second PSU... I've got an old one (250W) just lying around. With my mid tower, I barely have room to work anyway so I'm going to either get a full tower, or build my own, because I don't want to go through the work or butchering up my case now just to decide later that I need a bigger one... I'd rather cut once, and be able to sell a case that's in it's original condition.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back