Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

building a report using two different tables

Status
Not open for further replies.

chubby

Programmer
Apr 28, 2001
US
I have two tables that must not change. Table 1 has 41 discrepancies codes, Table two has 1230 compartment names. So, how can I build a query so that I can build a report that contains each compartment listing all 41 discrepancies
under it.

List all 1230 compartments each one listing 41 discrepancies
example:
Port side store room
discrepance 1
" "
" "
discrepance 41

Here's what I have so far.
Table 1:
tbl_Compartment Listing:
field: (pri key) ID_compartment
field: Dept
field: Division
field: Compartment Noun name

Table 2:
tbl_Discrepancy Listing
field: (for key) ID_compartment
field: checkboxes
field: Barcode text (this field contains 41 discrepancies)

Are you looking for a report with 50430 records (41*1230)?

The first part of your question sounds like you have 1230 records in tbl_Compartment and 41 records in tbl_Discrepency. Is that correct? I'm not sure why you have a ID_Compartment field in tbl_Discrepancy.

If you want the 50430 records, you can create a query with both tables and don't use any join lines.

Duane MS Access MVP
[green]Ask a great question, get a great answer.[/green] [red]Ask a vague question, get a vague answer.[/red]
[green]Find out how to get great answers faq219-2884.[/green]

See, what I'm trying to do is build a report which shows each compartment (on a single sheet of paper) listing all 41 Discrepencies with checkboxes. An inspector, inspects an compartment by checking the discrepencies instead of writing it out.

Did you try If you want the 50430 records, you can create a query with both tables and don't use any join lines.

SELECT Dept,Division, [Compartment Noun name],[Barcode text]
FROM [tbl_Compartment Listing], [tbl_Discrepancy Listing];

Duane MS Access MVP
[green]Ask a great question, get a great answer.[/green] [red]Ask a vague question, get a vague answer.[/red]
[green]Find out how to get great answers faq219-2884.[/green]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back