Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Building a new computer and need hardware advice 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 9, 2002
US
I am in the process of building a new computer and I need some advice. My goal is to build a solid system for around $1,200 that will run Vista and will enable me to run MS Office and games (FPS and MMORPGs). I am looking to start from scratch and based on some articles that I have read, I have come up with the following configuration:

1. MB - ABIT IP35 Pro LGA 775 Intel P35 ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail

2. CPU - Intel Core 2 Quad Q6700 Kentsfield 2.66GHz LGA 775 95W Quad-Core Processor Model BX80562Q6700 - Retail

3. PS - PC Power & Cooling S61EPS 610W Continuous @ 40°C EPS12V Power

4. HD - 2 X Western Digital Caviar SE WD5000JBRTL 500GB 7200 RPM IDE Ultra ATA100 Hard Drive - Retail

5. Video - EVGA 512-P3-N801-AR GeForce 8800 GT 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Retail

6. RAM - 2 X Crucial Ballistix 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model BL2KIT12864AA804 - Retail

7. Case - Antec Nine Hundred Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Retail

8. CPU Fan - COOLER MASTER RR-CCH-L9U1-GP 92mm Hyper TX2 CPU Cooler - Retail

9. DVD - 2 X Sony NEC Optiarc 20X DVD±R Burner Black IDE Model AD-7200A-0B - OEM

I am currently at around $1,300 (less rebates I am below my $1,200 goal) but I want to make sure these components will work well together and that there is not something better that I should be getting instead of the selected components. Thanks for your time.

Marrow

The stock HSF should be fine indefinitely. I have a server running 2 Opterons that have been using the stock HSFs for over 3 years. As kmcferrin pointed out, the stock HSF is usually more than adequate. Once it's up & running, check your temps with speedfan and see how it's doing. Should be fine. Enjoy your new build, safe in the knowledge you've got the best your money can buy today.

Just a few years ago a $1300 PC would have been pretty cruddy, we as consumers have really seen the benefits of leap-frogging technology.

Now I need to sell my wife on getting the Q9450 to replace my 18-month old E6600! [smile]

Tony

Users helping Users...

The stock heatsink/fan will be just fine. Like I said, Intel engineered the cooling solution for that CPU. If they sold it with an inadequate fan, then they'd just be irritating their customers. If you're not overclocking the CPU you should be good for several years with that fan. If you are overclocking you'd probably want to replace it, but the newer Intel CPUs run cool enough that you might not have to (though I would).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back