Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

building a firewall 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

sana595

Programmer
Mar 23, 2003
HK
hello,
i am constructing a firewall in visual c++. i need help in it. firstly, i need to know what are the things i have to consider in it. please give me some idea.
thanks.

Agree with above post, also this forum is rife with information as to firewalls, holes, security concerns, etc.
Try taking some time to read the posts

If you are planning to build your own firewall, then you need to be very informed on firewall technology. We could probably fill a few books with "what you need to consider".
Read up on firewalls, and use some of the more popular ones out there to see how they work. ________________________________________
Check out

For the most part, I agree with the posts that have been made.

However, if you have a concept for an improvement of the firewall, like when application aware proxies were introduced, then I would suggest that you build a "proof of concept" implementation on top of an open source firewall, or just that concept alone, on top of an IP stack. If you are planning on giving the technology away, then a simple white paper, posted to some security newsgroups would be a good start.

If you plan on selling the technology, then you will need to put together some non-disclosure statements before introducing anyone to the concept. I'm sure that there are some very competent programmers at XYZ Security Products, Inc. who would love to implement your idea into a full-blown commercial firewall.
pansophic

I found a book called
Internet Security, Professional Reference, 2nd ed.
New Riders Press, 1997.

It has a chapter of over 100 pages called building a firewall. It appears to be based on something called the TIS Firewall Toolkit.

Not C++, but maybe there are concepts/ideas that would be useful.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back