Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Building a computer from scratch 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cmbrando

Technical User
Aug 14, 2001
US
Does anyone know of a place on the internet or good manuals where I can learn to build a computer from scratch. particularly, how the pieces fit together and how and why they work together and what works best. Cmbrando
In the Beginning I was but the Leaner,
Now, I will become the Master.

Putting a computer together is easy, the difficult bit comes after when you have to breath life into the sucker.
No really, there is about 10 things you need to know.
It takes about an hour from everything being in box's, maybe 3 for the first one.
Let me know and I will help you with your choices and building of the beast, my pleasure.

Martin

Upgrading and repairing PCs by Scott Mueller is the bible for understanding what goes on inside the box. Ed Fair
efair@atlnet.com

Any advice I give is my best judgement based on my interpretation of the facts you supply.

Help increase my knowledge by providing some feedback, good or bad, on any advice I have given.

My best advice is to do what I did years (and years) ago:
Buy a crap old 486 or Pentium for 100 quid, take it apart, and put it back together again. Computers are flexible and most of the time, if it fits in the slot, it'll probably work. I know this isn't a very professional way to build a PC, but if you go wrong at least it's a cheap mistake.

The real tough bit comes when you switch the PC on and try to get all the bits talking - they're right. Get a good book.

Good Luck!!

Tels

I've seen a couple of very good illustrated articles in PC World Magazine on building from scratch. Check some of their back issues starting about 1998-2000.

That book by Scott Mueller is the best and the only one you need,I got the Tenth Anniversary Edition from a used book store for about 1/2 price, it comes with 2 CDs which are very helpful.

Alternatively the web provides a feast of information.

Here are some sites to wet your appetite

For the hard ware (and suggestions on configurations)

For the aftermath of trying to switch it on

These are not necessarily the best sites but they should at least get you started

remember a :) a day keps the %-( away

MRJohnston ::)

Make sure ya allways keep touching the case of the pc to make sure that there is no static electricty to damage any components (not that anything usually happens) but better to be safe then sorry.... and read up on the way's that the cables are meant to be atached to the mobo..... eg. red line on a strap cable to the number one pin on the mobo

Oh yeah.. good few tips.

When plugging in IDE cables (the wide strips that plug into hard drives and cd drives etc) the outside red line nearly always goes closest to the power connector.

You can make a computer work with just a PSU (Power Supply), motherboard, CPU, Memory, Video Card, monitor and keyboard.
It won't do much, but you'll at least see the Bios information. This is how I build mine, then I add bits on (like floppys, hard drives, sound cards, etc etc)
If you don't even see the bios info using this most basic config, it is most likely that the CPU is not being clocked correctly, or the memory is not properly installed.

If you're a beginner, get a good motherboard which can auto-sense the CPU speed and install good compatible memory. Try not to mix memory types, this can lead to failures etc.
If the M'board will not auto clock, read the manual - it's usually straightforward but if you rush it you can destroy the CPU.

You can have a maximum of 4 drives on IDE, you need at least 1 hard drive. There are 2 IDE cables and you can have 2 drives (master and slave) on each cable. Be sure to check the drives are set to either one or the other. You cannot have both on the same cable.

Setting up the bios gets most people who ask me for help - most bios's have a hard drive auto detect. Use that to configure the hard drive, if you can do that you can usually leave the bios until later - most computers will run fine on the config I have just given you.

You may have to change the order in which the computer boots from the drives, in order to install the OS. all this isin the BIOS.

Last thing - get a good anti stat wrist band cos you *can* fry parts of your computer just by touching. If you don't have one, be sure to touch the frame of the computer periodically to discharge the static.

Hope this helps

Tels

ps to all those in America I'd like to let you know we here in UK are totally shocked and disgusted by the events in NY.
Just sorry we're so far away we can't do more - My condolences and prayers are with everyone there

The most difficult part of building a computer is making sure all the parts are compatable with each other, and what type of CPU you are going to buy.

Once you decide on a CPU type, like AMD Atholon, AMD Duron, Intel Celeron, Intel P4/P3, then you research the most reliable motherboard for your CPU. Usually a good indication that a motherboard is a good buy is how many awards it has received. Always check the reviews. The motherboards can be split up into the Chipset Types. The chipset is what runs the bios that sets up all of your hardware. For instance if you want a 30 gig hard drive the
bios probably should support Ultra ATA 100 drives.

Then different motherboards support different buss rates and memory types. Intel and AMD use a few different types of memory. Intel uses its own type of memory and AMD can use a few different types like PC100 PC133 SDRAM and the newer PC1600 and PC2100 DDR Ram. Even the CPU's have variations in the bus speed. AMD makes both 200 and 266 bus speeds in the athlon processor. If you want speed make sure the motherboard can handle it.

Some motherboards integrate or put hardware on the motherboard. For instance some boards have the sound or the modem or the video on the motherboard. I am against having the video integrated on the motherboard. Sound seems ok if you dont plan on downloading MP3's (Music Files). A Modem you may not want integrated if you plan on using a fast internet connection with a cable modem or DSL either right away or sometime in the future.

Look for some of the sites on the internet and see what kind of combinations of all the hardware they use. Then ask around to see what people have and if they are satisfied with what they bought and the service they required. Sometimes it is easier to order a combo with just the Case Motherboard, memory, CPU and floppy drive, and video card. That is the minimum it takes to test the motherboard. After you build a couple computers you will have spare parts laying around like a video card that is good enough to test the motherboard. Any old 1 meg video card can test to see if the motherboard is working, but I wouldn't expect to play any of the newer games with it.

You can also buy Motherboard, CPU combos or just buy everything separately. Most places want you to buy everything in one place to get the OEM price on the Operating system; Otherwise you have to cheat on the software license or buy it separately at an outrageous price. It can be worth it to get a newer operating system, if you plan on using a new video card to play games or to build a home network. For instance, if you want to share an internet connection, WIN 98 might not be able to do it, and win95 definitely was not designed for it. If you do not like my post feel free to point out your opinion or my errors.

I have just put one together using information from pc mechanic, their site is I would recommend this site to all beginners

Wish you luck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back