Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Building a Communication Manager Home Lab

Status
Not open for further replies.

vortex06

Technical User
Feb 9, 2013
US
I am interested in building a home lab to learn Communication Manager and Voicemail. I am a hobbyist that would like to learn to configure the switch, and few digital phones, analog phones, voip phones, PRI, copper trunks, voicemail, auto attendant, coverage groups, ARS, and more I can't think of right now. I bought a G700 on ebay but it didn't come with an S8300. Does anyone have any tips on my options to build a home lab, with or without this G700?

Yes, same question here.. I can get my hands on an s8300D server and buy a G350 or something cheap on Ebay. How do you go about licensing and things like that?

If you get a s8300d put system platform and cm sp4 on the s8300d both available on the support / plds sites , once your cm is on 6.2 it will run for 30 days will all licences open , configure it take a back up and then after 30 days reset it if you need to administer further , or reload platform and cm and put your back up in .....hey presto a fully licenced kit for not much $$$$$

APSS (SME)
ACSS (SME)

That would be perfect. Would this work on cm 6.0 or cm 5 as well? Or only on 6.2?

As far as i know R6 only but somebody elae may be able to qualify

APSS (SME)
ACSS (SME)

A normal PC with 4 port NIC (recommend something like and plenty of RAM 16GB.

Gateway there is no way around it other than to get a G430, but that's only if you want trunks (or the phones to register as H323 I need they need the gateway - if its sip they can register direct to the CM).

You can then install VSP 6.2 on this and the embedded, mid-ent templates on there - works great for demos and proof of concepts.

Love your work Montyzummer! That's going to help my studying no end. Cheers.

No trees were harmed in the sending of this message; however, a significant number of electrons were slightly inconvenienced.

Well that almost worked. You are correct it runs in 30 day grace period, but won't allow administration. I found this note in a Doc and I am guessing that is my problem. So I guess I am back to square one.

Caution:
A valid authentication file must be present on every Avaya media server, or all access to MultiVantage call-processing software from any login is blocked.

What was blocked straight away?

I use this method all the time when prepping customers sites before shipment , with no licence or auth file.

Is it a s8300d with sys platform 6.2.1.0.9 and cm 6.2.823???

APSS (SME)
ACSS (SME)

I am trying to use the new VMware ova of 6.2 running inside VMware player, so no system platform involved. It seems to boot and services all start. Web mgmt works. I can log into Linux shell. I get an ACCESS DENIED when trying to log into SAT. I can get into the web admin of CM. I read somewhere else too that other people were unable to log into SAT until an auth file was loaded.

Is there something different on your S8300d that allows it work? some kind of an integrated auth file? Or maybe a pre-existing one? Since this is for learning at home I would rather not spend thousands on an S8300D.

Yes I have a default integrated file , is the sat access allowed in the smi "server access " page ?

APSS (SME)
ACSS (SME)

It most certainly is. I SSH to port 5022, log in with craft, craftpw. Then it brings me to a second prompt that says Login:. I type in craft and it says ACCESS DENIED and disconnects the session.

Capture.jpg

Capture2.jpg

have you tried other logins admin admin01 ? , unsure if that will work but worth a try of course that referes to the platform admin credentials you set

APSS (SME)
ACSS (SME)

Hi vortex06,
have you fixed this issue somehow? I have the same problem. I have CM 6.2 running on wmware esxi 5.1 (what's your version?) . You can download authentication file from avaya's site, import it to web SMI. Then you will be able to access SAT, but not with regular craft username/password, you have to use ASG authentication. If you create another user account (eg. cust1) with admin privileges you will be able to access SAT but only in read-only mode (eg. change command is not available).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back