Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Building a chart based on a formula

Status
Not open for further replies.

honorbum

Technical User
Aug 26, 2005
US
I have a field which is basically a percentage formula off of two other running total fields - ({rtfield1}/{rtfield2})*100. I want to build a line chart off the percentage field. The report has two grouping levels as well - one, the customer and two, the month. All three fields reside in the Group 2 Footer section. When selecting the data for the chart, the percentage formula field does not show in the list. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

HB

Please explain the setup of the running totals--I'm wondering whether the running totals are necessary.

-LB

One field is merely a total of the records. The Running Total has to be used since it's posted to total each group's monthly total. So it's Summary by Count and start count over when Month changes.

Then the other Running Total field adds all records which have a value of 1 and is also posted to total each group's monthly total. So this is Summary by Sum and start count over when Month changes.

Would you get the same result for the first running total by right clicking and inserting a count at the group level?

For the second running total, what happens if instead you create a formula:

if {table.field} = 1 then 1

...and then insert a sum(not count) on it at the group level? If these return the correct group level values, then your charting will be simpler.

-LB

I could not do the 'right-click, insert' however I inserted a Summary of both fields from the menu bar, one using count and the other using sum, and then built the percentage field off those two fields and it worked. The percentage field now shows up as an available field to use in the line chart.

Thanks for the help LB!

HB

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back