Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Build your own laptop?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikeloaf

Technical User
Dec 20, 2002
GB
Is it possible to buy parts and assemble a laptop in the same way most of us would knock up a pc? I have been building and selling desktops for years and am interested in building laptops 2.

Can it be done?
Anyone suggest parts suppliers?
Anyone done it?

Cheers,

Mike

Probably not worth the time or money involved. Search this forum for another thread on this topic, it's been covered.

For some reason the Advanced Search no longer works on this site.
Here is one thread on your subject. There used to be a really long one, but I didn't see it.

thread602-475355

Jim

No - there simply does not exist a consumer market for laptop components / hardware / etc...
the exception to this being the recent developments by video card manufacturers in the area of making video upgradable in laptops, but that it is far as it's gone - and even that, if I am not mistaken, is not going to be (for some time I imagine) a case of the consumer just going out and picking up a new video card for their laptop and taking it home and installing it themselves.

all parts are proprietary for laptops and notebooks. Suppliers are not interested in selling to prospecive laptop owners.

If you do not like my post feel free to point out your opinion or my errors.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back