Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

build -install ACE, TAO 1.4 on Solaris 9.

Status
Not open for further replies.

sybdev

Programmer
Jun 3, 2008
US
Hello:
I am trying to build/install ACE 5.4 & TAO1.4 on Solaris 9.
I downloaded the current patch level of ACE/TAO(5.4a_p23) from the OCI website: and I am trying to follow the instructions provided

in this website: ----
Using the Traditional ACE/GNU Configuration.

As per the instructions, I did a 'make' under $ACE_ROOT/ace and get the below error:

however, if I try running the CC string cited in the error by removing the repeated reference to libACE.5.4a.23, a.out is generated. But I am unable to find where in the GNUMakefile.ACE I have to make the correction.

Any suggestion or insights/tips into compiling ACE/TAO will help. Please let me know how you think I should proceed.
Are there any other sources (besides the commercial support) that can help with ACE/TAO build/install issues?

Thankyou!
---------------------------------------------------------
>make
make[1]: Entering directory `/export/install/TAO_ACE/ACE_wrappers/ace'

GNUmakefile: /export/install/TAO_ACE/ACE_wrappers/ace/GNUmakefile.ACE MAKEFLAGS=w

CC -G -DSUN_CC_HAS_PVFC_BUG -I/export/install/TAO_ACE/ACE_wrappers -DACE_HAS_EXCEPTIONS -I.. -DACE_HAS_ACE_TOKEN -DACE_HAS_ACE_SVCCONF -DACE_BUILD_DLL -h libACE.5.4a.23 libACE.5.4a.23 -mt -R /export/install/TAO_ACE/ACE_wrappers/lib -R./ -xildoff -L/export/install/TAO_ACE/ACE_wrappers/ace -L./ -L. -L../lib -lsocket -ldl -lnsl -lgen -lposix4 -ladm
ld: fatal: file libACE.5.4a.23: open failed: No such file or directory
ld: fatal: File processing errors. No output written to a.out
make[1]: *** [libACE.5.4a.23] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/export/install/TAO_ACE/ACE_wrappers/ace'
make: *** [ACE] Error 2
----------------------------------------------------------------

I haven't used Solaris for 8 years. What does -h on the cc line do? On GNU, -H prints all the includes.

Why not just build the objects using cc -c and then create the .so or .a using ld or ar respectively?

-h<name> Assigns <name> to generated dynamic shared library.
I am not sure what objects are needed for me to compile & link at this point. so not so comfortable building each object separately

So why does libACE.5.4a.23 appear twice? I think one of them should be removed. The one after the -h is OK, but the one following it doesn't make a lot of sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back