Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Build an Avaya home Lab

Status
Not open for further replies.

fid500

Technical User
Oct 27, 2013
US
Hello,

First of all, I apologize if this has been asked before. I confess that I don't know much about Avaya. I have played with Cisco CME a bit in the past. I come from a routing and switching environment mostly Cisco and Juniper. I am a big believer in learning by doing and trying to learn Avaya phone system. I bought a G350 gateway from Ebay and have access to CM OVA and ISOs but would like some guidance in setting this up. Is there some sort of free licensing I can use for studying? I have an Adtran 550 to simulate Pots and ISDN trunks.

And Thanks for your help

JayNEC, that is not true.
But 6.2 and higher required a S8300D.
The S8300C cannot go that high.

BAZINGA!

I'm not insane, my mother had me tested!

Yeah, I left the "B" qualifier off my comment.

6.0 requires an 8300D. 6.0 and above is system platform based (cirtual servers).

The kit he linked to has an S8300B. CM 5.x is the highest load for an S8300B, it won't run SES co-resident though - you need an S8300C for that.

"Communication Manager 5.0 and later releases do not install or run on an S8500A Server. An S8500B or later server must be used"

"Communication Manager 6.0 and later System Platform based releases do not install or run on S8300B, S8300C, S8400, S8400B, S8500B, S8500C, S8710, S8720 or S8730 Servers. "

New England Communications

Thanks all for your responses.
I am still confused. If G350 is just a gateway that connects to trunks and pots and provide dsp for analog phones, why can't I install CM6.2 on VMWARE and 5 on G350? I don't understand how the two interact with each other? I would I appreciate it if someone could direct me to some documentation that sheds some light on how CM, System Platform, Session Manager and Gateway all interact with each other.

Thanks

fid500, the S8300 is a server which you can put in to a gateway (350)
Running it on a VMWare is possible as Avaya uses servers too.
But then you still need a gateway if you want digital or analog phones.
Docs can be found on the support site

BAZINGA!

I'm not insane, my mother had me tested!

tlpeter thanks for your response.

Then if i decide to use G350 as a gateway, I dont have to have S8300 installed.I can just use CM6.2 on VM and connect to the G350 gateway. Will that work?

Thanks

the gate way provides a service called sls(hardware vintage dependant) , this is very basic functionality not really what you are looking for in a lab environment , obviously if you use a separate server you can go down the EXSI route that peter suggests or install the CM template on system platform , either way you still need a server that will handle this , you are probably better purchasing a S8300D second hand and going from there.

I finally received my G350 gateway. I had some challenges getting it to work. After trying multiple console cables, I stumbled on a post online showing how to convert Cisco to Avaya console cable. I was able to log in using the root user. however, when I do a show command, It doesn't display everything under that command. It displays one line or two. I was unable to telnet or ssh to it. I configured vlan 1 and issues the pim command, but when I connect the console port to a switch or to my laptop through a crossover cable, I am unable to ping the IP. the S8300B is showing a red alarm.
Is step by step tutorial on how to configure these devices or factory reset command I can issue to start from zero. I went through multiple Avaya manual but so far no success.

Thanks

Woow finally I got telnet to work on Fa10/2 after doing an NVRAM Initialization.
But my S8300B still has the alarm on and when I do show fault, It s saying H248 registration failure. When I run show license status, It comes back with no license found. is there some sort of temporary license to get this going. As I mentioned above, this is just for a home lab.

Thanks

You really should ask in the correct forum, forum690 This forum is for an entirely different system and so very few people will be able to help in comparison :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back