Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Buggy combo box results in data differences betw form & linked table 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

bphillips

Technical User
Feb 18, 2003
US
When I enter data into a form in a particular field, the data appears differently in the form than it does when I open the table that the form is linked to. Specifically, I have three combo boxes on the form that are linked to each other. The list of options for the second one is limited by the value chosen in the first and the list of options for the third combo box is similarly limited by the value chosen in the second. The problem occurs with the third one. I will choose one of the options in the shortened list for the third combo box and when I close the form and open the associated table, the value for the corresponding field in the same record will be different.

Additionally, I have noticed that the difference is not entirely random. The third combo box draws its values from a lookup table with fields corresponding to all three combo boxes. The records in the lookup table are sorted by the first field, corresponding to the first combo box (for the example, let's say they're letters A,B,C and D). Again for this example let's say that the third field contains numbers, three for each letter. Thus, if on the form, "B" is chosen in the first combo box, the third combo box will only show 4, 5 and 6. Now the pattern I have found is that the position of the number I choose from the third list in the form corresponds to the the position in the lookup table of the number that appears in the table linked to the form. So that if I choose "B" and "5" on the form, the table will show "B" and "2". The number "5" was second on the list in the combo box and when the records in the lookup table are sorted by letter, "2" is the second number on the list.

I hope I've been more descriptive and less confusing, but I fear I may have presented my problem the other way around.

It's kinda hard to tell what's going on, but I would suggest you look carefully at which column is the 'bound' column for the errant combo box.

You nailed it. It wasn't bound column of the combo box on the form, but the bound column of the field in the source table was set to 0. I guess that's why the value in the table was showing up as more of a list index value. Thanks.

do not forget to give stars to helpful posts so that other users could also enjoy the BENEFIT OF RESOLUTION!!!

THANK YOU Good luck,
Kuzz

"Time spent debating the impossible subtracts from the time during which you
can try to accomplish it."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back