Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Bug in VC++ IDE?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DoctorC

Programmer
Jun 29, 2000
US
Does anyone know why this happens? Sometimes, when you click on the button to execute your compiled and built program, you get a message box saying that "One or more files do not exist", and it asks if you want to build them. Usually, these include the exe and several obj files. In fact, the files do exist in your temp or debug folders (wherever you have specified), as you can click "Cancel", and the program executes normally. It is as if the IDE seems to "forget" that the files are there. I don't know how to get around this...I even tried creating a new, empty workspace, and copying the source files into it, but the problem persists. Any ideas here? Is this a bug in the compiler/linker? [sig][/sig]

basically that means that the current obj files are older than the source code you currently have, so in otherwords it wants to recompile so that the objects can be of the most recent compiled sources. [sig]<p>Karl<br><a href=mailto:kb244@kb244.com>kb244@kb244.com</a><br><a href= </a><br>Experienced in : C++(both VC++ and Borland),VB1(dos) thru VB6, Delphi 3 pro, HTML, Visual InterDev 6(ASP(WebProgramming/Vbscript)<br>
[/sig]

Thanks for such a speedy response. Your answer makes some sense, but why does the problem persist? In other words, whether I click &quot;Yes&quot; or &quot;No&quot; makes no difference. The next time I run the app, the same message pops up. One would expect that re-building them would create new copies. So, I checked the dates and time of the files, and the obj and exe files are brand new. I remain perplexed, but appreciative of conversation [sig][/sig]

perhaps one of your other files that exist in the project listing is being changed from the outside, such as if you are using any dataconnectivity in your project. [sig]<p>Karl<br><a href=mailto:kb244@kb244.com>kb244@kb244.com</a><br><a href= </a><br>Experienced in : C++(both VC++ and Borland),VB1(dos) thru VB6, Delphi 3 pro, HTML, Visual InterDev 6(ASP(WebProgramming/Vbscript)<br>
[/sig]

hmmm....i'm not sure of that one. I don't think that is the case. Admittedly, it falls under the category of nuisance, rather than something that demands a solution, but still puzzling. It has happened from time to time on different projects, but I have not been able to isolate what triggers it. Once it starts, I have never been able to make it go away on that project,. Have you never had this problem, as some of my colleagues have?

Charlie [sig][/sig]

do you have any external dependencies listed in your workspace?, also try Cleaning up(Tool or Build...Clean I think) your build when you dont need to debug alot anymore, may help with some of those persistant objects. [sig]<p>Karl<br><a href=mailto:kb244@kb244.com>kb244@kb244.com</a><br><a href= </a><br>Experienced in : C++(both VC++ and Borland),VB1(dos) thru VB6, Delphi 3 pro, HTML, Visual InterDev 6(ASP(WebProgramming/Vbscript)<br>
[/sig]

Interesting point...there is an external dependency, called basetsd.h, listed. I do't know how to get rid of that one. Usually, you can highlight the file to be removed from the project, and hit the delete key. (I know it is not really deleted, just logically removed from the project.) However, the delete key has no effect in this case, so I seached for a string with that name, also for #include &quot;basetsd.h&quot;, with no success. Of course, that header is held in the Include folder, under Vc98, but how to separate it from my project?

Re &quot;Clean&quot;, it seems to me that is like &quot;Rebuild All&quot;, which empties the debug folder, thus forcing a complete rebuild. In any case, neither of those work. I return to my earlier speculation that this is a minor bug in Visual C++.

I appreciate your continued interest...as before, this does not warrant taking you away from your other important work, unless you are as intrigued as I am
Thanks
Charlie [sig][/sig]

well it's not like your problem isnt exactly worthless, I would try to help, and usally when I pop by your responses, I take least a minute to reply to them, so not much troble to me, also far as the external dependencies usally like in my projects (usally its a lib or a dll) such as an ADO reference file, if it is used, the project thinks it has been changed, even if the content hasnt changed at all. [sig]<p>Karl<br><a href=mailto:kb244@kb244.com>kb244@kb244.com</a><br><a href= </a><br>Experienced in : C++(both VC++ and Borland),VB1(dos) thru VB6, Delphi 3 pro, HTML, Visual InterDev 6(ASP(WebProgramming/Vbscript)<br>
[/sig]

Just for clarity...this is a simple project I am working on...a test bed, really, with no dll's, COM, etc.

A mentor of mine suggested that if some file(s) were created with a Late date, say, 2001, this will force the guarantee the message appearing. The truth is, I haven't taken the time to check if this is the case, but it could be..........

CN [sig][/sig]

Bingo...that was it. I somehow had two files dated 10/29/00. Once I modified them to change the date, the problem went away.
Charlie [sig][/sig]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back