Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Bug in FoxPro 2.6 Sql? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChrisCarroll

Programmer
Oct 10, 2000
Any takers for the following puzzle, which is a simplified version of a query that returns the wrong answer:

Run this from the command line:

Code:
set date british
create table err (datedied D, retdate D)
insert into err values ({}, {11/01/1999})
select * from err where ;
  ( (datedied>{1/7/1999} or datedied={}) and ;
    (retdate >{1/7/1999} or retdate ={}) )

&& --> Correctly returns zero records

( (datedied>{1/7/1999} or datedied={}) and ;
    (retdate >{1/7/1999} or retdate ={}) ) or .F.

&&--> InCorrectly returns 1 record

Are we blind, or is it really, simply wrong??

Chris [sig][/sig]

This worked for me, so the problem is the use of the date{} function.

set date [red]to[/red] british
insert into err values([red]ctod(" / / ") , ctod("11/01/99")[/red])

*select * from err where ;
* ( (datedied>[red]ctod("01/07/1999")[/red] or datedied=[red]ctod(" / / ")[/red]) and ;
* (retdate >[red]ctod("01/07/1999")[/red] or retdate =[red]ctod(" / / ")[/red]) )

( (datedied>[red]ctod("01/07/1999")[/red] or datedied=[red]ctod(" / / ")[/red]) and ;
(retdate >[red]ctod(&quot;01/07/1999&quot;)[/red] or retdate =[red]ctod(&quot; / / &quot;)[/red]) ) or .F. [sig]<p>David W. Grewe<br><a href=mailto:Dave@internationalbid.net>Dave@internationalbid.net</a><br>[/sig]

Interesting idea but -

I copied and pasted your code - and it gave me the same wrong result, returning 1 record. In fact, I then remove the dates, and even field values, leaving just constants:

Code:
Create Table Err ( A N(1) )
insert into err values(1)

( (.f. or .t. ) and (.f.  or .f.) )  or .F. 
  && --> InCorrectly returns 1 record

? ( (.f. or .t. ) and (.f.  or .f.) )  or .F. 
   && --> Correctly prints .F.

Are you sure it worked right on yours?

We are on FPW 2.6a on NT 4
[sig][/sig]

Yep, I just went back and reran it again in both FPW26a and VFP6SP3 with the same results. I'm using Win98. In both selects, in both versions, I got zero records returned.
[sig]<p>David W. Grewe<br><a href=mailto:Dave@internationalbid.net>Dave@internationalbid.net</a><br>[/sig]

I would be grateful if anyone else out there with FP 2.x could try it and tell me what result they get, and on what FP/OS version. We've tried it on half a dozen machines, all FPW2.6a on NT4 workstation (with last year's fast processor patch applied), and every one gives the wrong answer.

Thanks,

Chris [sig][/sig]

OK - the dates work either way - That'll teach me to log on before having that first cup of coffee!

I ran it in VFP 6.0 (Sorry - but I had to translate to American, it may take 2 cups of coffee before I could do it British!) and it worked fine..

set date american
insert into err values ({}, {^1999-01-11})
( (datedied>{^1999-07-01} or datedied={}) and ;
(retdate >{^1999-07-01} or retdate ={}) )
wait str(_tally) window

( (datedied>{^1999-07-01} or datedied={}) and ;
(retdate >{^1999-07-01} or retdate ={}) ) or .F.
wait str(_tally) window
&&--> Correctly returns 0 records as well

I don't have my 2.6 installed at the moment, so hopefully someone else can help solve this.

Hank Castello

Chris,

I also get the same error (1 record returned), using your simplified query:

select * from err where ((.f. or .t.) or (.f. or .f.)) or .f.

Like you, I'm on FPW2.6a and NT4. [sig]<p>Andy Blay<br><a href=mailto:a.d.blay@talk21.com>a.d.blay@talk21.com</a><br><a href= > </a><br> [/sig]

OK, I've got no excuse for that one (i've just had my first coffee).

Of course, the query I used was:

select * from err where ((.f. or .t.) and (.f. or .f.)) or .f. [sig]<p>Andy Blay<br><a href=mailto:a.d.blay@talk21.com>a.d.blay@talk21.com</a><br><a href= > </a><br> [/sig]

So we have 2 of us get an wrong result running FPW2.6a on NT4, and 1 gets a correct result on Win98.

Any other answers please?

I'm glad to know it's not just me losing my marbles - but where do we go from here :-( ?

[sig][/sig]

Asking around elsewhere we now have several people reporting the same fault in FPW 2.6a, and one also on FPDos 2.5

dgrewe, (and others with FP2.x) would you mind pasting & running this:

--------------
We find that T3() and T4() are not evaluated - even though it's logically impossible to evaluate the expression without evaluating at least one of them given that T2() is .T.
--------------
Code:
? version(), os(), os(1)

Create table Err ( A N(1) )
insert into err values(1)

select * from err where ( (.f. or .t. ) and (.f.  or .f.) )  or .F. into cursor x1
? _tally   && --> InCorrectly returns 1 record

select * from err where ( (.f. or .f. ) and (.f.  or .t.) )  or .F. into cursor x2
? _tally	&& --> Correctly returns 0 record

select * from err where ( (.f. or .t. ) and (.f.  or .f. ) )  or .F. into cursor x3
? _tally && --> InCorrectly returns 1 record
?

Select * from err where ( (T1() or T2() ) and (T3()  or T4()) )  or T5() into cursor x1
? _tally && --> Should have to evaluate at least one of T3() or T4() before knowing the answer

?

Return

*-- Sample Functions
function T1
??&quot;T1  &quot;
return .f.

function T2
??&quot;T2  &quot;
return .t.

function T3
??&quot;T3  &quot;
return .f.

function T4
??&quot;T4  &quot;
return .f.

function T5
??&quot;T5  &quot;
return .f.

Thank you.

ChrisCarroll [sig][/sig]

OK, Here is the results when I run your code.
FoxPro 2.6 for Windows DOS 07.10 Windows 3.95
T1 T2 T5 T1 T2 T5
[sig]<p>David W. Grewe<br><a href=mailto:Dave@internationalbid.net>Dave@internationalbid.net</a><br>[/sig]

Running the same code on the same computer in VFP I get
Visual FoxPro 06.00.8492.00 for Windows Windows 4.10 Windows 4.10
T1 T2 T3 T4 T5 T1 T2 T3 T4 T1 T2 T1 T2 T3 T4 T3 T4 T5 T1 T2 T3 T4 T5

So I guess we agree that SQL for FoxPro 2.6 (and 2.5) for Win & Dos wrongly evaluates expressions of the form

(T1 or T2) and (T3 or T4) ) or T5()

when t1 or t2 is .T. and t5 is .F.

Which raises the follow on question(s):

1) What other expressions will evaluate incorrectly
2) How, in particular, can we guarantee that programs that generate SQL strings dynamically will avoid errors?

I find this a rather serious bug. Once you've lost confidence in your ability to evaluate boolean expressions, you've lost confidence in your ability to run queries.

[sig][/sig]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back