Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

buffer size, how do you increase it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mbeaver

Technical User
Feb 28, 2002
GB
Hi There,
The Getting started manual for Sniffer Pro states the buffer size can go upto 192mb on windows 98. Mine only goes upto 40mb in the define filter tab. How do you increase this setting?

Capture/Define Filter/Buffer. Mine goes up to 384Mb. Do you have 4.7? The capture buffer size was not increased until then.

Chris

thanks, upgraded to 4.7 today and the options have changed for the buffer size.

With 4.7 the buffer size is 50% of available physical memory. Which means if I have 1000 Meg total and 512 after the os and programs load, then I can set a capture buffer of 256 meg of ram.

do you ppl have any idea how many frames that is in +- 40 meg buffer, about 150000 to 250000, you ppl wanna try and analyse anything bigger?, rather snap small files to HDD then use you ART and dash board to help you with the analysis.

Hey Jamesgarlick,
How would I snap small files and what is HDD? Sorry for the stupid questions.

Thanks

Hi,

I think what James Garlic!!, was trying to say was: If your PC hasn't got a lot of RAM in it, take lots of small captures and instead of saving them into system memory, save them directly to file.

This can be easily done when you "define filter" - in the "buffer" tab, select "save to file" and the number of files you wish to take.

As LANGURU mentions, the capture file is directly proportional to the amount of physical RAM. As a "rule-of-thumb", a capture can be half the amount of physical RAM

Alf

Depending on the type of problem you are trying to solve, Packet Slicing is another good method. Instead of capturing the entire packet, you can capture just the beginning of the frame.

A good example is an FTP transfer. First calculate the average frame size. Usually there are two data packets for every acknowledgement. So the average frame size is ((2*1518) + 64) / 3 or about 1033 bytes. Now let's say your capture buffer is 40mb. You could fit about 38,722 frames in the buffer before it wraps around. When analyzing an FTP, we don't really need to look at the data portion of the packet, instead we are interested in the delta times and TCP header information. Maybe some FTP command information.

So, if we slice the packet to 128 bytes we can now fit 312,500 frames in the same 40mb buffer! That's almost 10 times as much. You can set the packet slicing in the Buffer tab of the Define Capture Filter dialog box. NAI calls this "Packet Size". If you are just looking for IP addresses and TCP info, you can get by with 64 bytes of packet size.

mpennac

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back