Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Btrieve ODBC Connectivity for Newbie

Status
Not open for further replies.

endyl13

Vendor
May 20, 2002
TH
Dear all,

I am trying to make a connection with our Btrieve 6.10 file on Netware 3 server. I am totally blind about Btrieve and Netware since I have never used them before. I am using Windows 2000 Prof as the client, Netware 3 as the server and Btrieve 6.10 as the 'database'.
The problem is that, we don't have the Netware or Btrieve install disks anymore, lost when we move to the new office.

How can I access the file (GOODS.DAT) on the Netware and define it as ODBC Datasource? What are the steps that I have to do and what are the softwares that I have to download and install? Can anyone help me with this problem?

I can read the content of the Netware server just like when we have some shared directories on other Windows machine (I installed Client for Netware option on Network preference). I can read all directories and files on the Netware, and when I tried to add GOODS.DAT as a text file ODBC data source, it failed because the format of the file is not as simple as a text file.

I have tried to search the Internet about Btrieve, but since I know nothing about it, I think this forum can give me more ideas on how to solve this problem.

Thank you in advance, any help for you experts are highly appreciated.

Endy

Btrieve v6.10 is very old. It did not include an ODBC driver and does not have a 32 bit interface. Merant offered an ODBC driver for Btrieve v6.10 at one point but it was 16bit only. In order to use ODBC with a 32 bit application like Access 95/97/2000/XP, you will need a 32 bit ODBC driver and a 32bit interface to Btrieve.
You might want to consider upgrading to Pervasive.SQL 2000. It's the current version and is supported (where as 6.10 is not supported). PSQL 2000 also is supported on WIndows 2000 and XP which 6.10 was never tested. The PSQL 2000 engine also comes with an ODBC driver that can be used. You will also need to have DDF files for the data files. There are several tools for creating DDFs files. mirtheil@mirtheil.com
Custom VB and Btrieve development.
Certified Pervasive Developer
Certified Pervasive Technician

mirtheil,
Well, I have the DAT file and all DDF files. What is the easiest way to upgrade them to PSQL 2000? Some of colleagues have tried to do that before, they found some difficulties since they need to migrate the files also.
Let's say if I install the PSQL 2000 on an NT or 2000 box, how easy will it be for me to migrate the DAT file from Btrieve 6.10 on Netware 3 to the new machine?
Or, with Btrieve 6.10, is there a tool to export the data from the DAT file to a CSV or Text files? If that is possible, I can then import back the data to any database.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back