Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

BSOD win32k.sys dumpchk results 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

molecul3

Technical User
Apr 17, 2003
HK
Hi all,

I have been getting BSODs on a new Thinkpad laptop and it always says that win32k.sys is the culprit.I ran some memory diagnostics and also PC doctor and results were good so I believe it is not a hardware issue. Coincidently, the only time it seems to blue screen is when I remote to the PC via an application called NetOp. We install a NetOp host on laptops and it allows administrators to log on to troubleshoot remotely. I am new to dumpchk and I just ran it and got the results below.

Can someone tell me what is wrong?
---------------------------------
Use !analyze -v to get detailed debugging information.

BugCheck 1000008E, {c0000005, bf8198cd, a7078d70, 0}

Probably caused by : win32k.sys ( win32k!WatchdogIsFunctionHooked+b )

Followup: MachineOwner
---------

Finished dump check
----------------------------

Thanks in advance

HOW TO: Verify Unsigned Device Drivers in Windows XP

Install Debugging Tools for Windows 32-bit Version

There is some evidence a corrupt Paging File could be a possible cause.

win xp pro - startup error message
thread779-407755

This is another possible cause involving video drivers or DEP.

Problems with NetOp and XP

Hi all,

Thanks very much for the prompt response.

Linney,

I have installed debugging tools and produced the dumpchk results but I am not sure how to run debugging tools itself. Do I use the same minidmp file?

I already tried disabling DEP and updating my video card drivers but no luck as well (sorry I should have mentioned this)

Ben,

I am not using RDP but I am not sure if this patch would apply?

Anyone know how I can interpret the stop messages? Are we only concerned with 1000008E which I believe has to do with 0x8e stop error correct? What about the numbers at the back? Does it lead to a specific item?

The minidump file is what you use for debugging the BSOD. You can create a more detailed dump file if you change the dump options in System Properties/ Advanced/ Startup recovery/ Settings/ System Failure.

"The four parameters can be very useful when you are troubleshooting certain types of STOP codes. The meaning of the parameters varies, depending on the type of STOP code".

For information about what the parameters mean, search the Microsoft Knowledge Base for the specific STOP code. (Not all STOP code parameters are covered in the Microsoft Knowledge Base.) Often the c0000005 parameter indicates a "access denied" type of error. In your Stop error, 0xC0000005: STATUS_ACCESS_VIOLATION indicates that a memory access violation occurred.

Bug Check 0x8E: KERNEL_MODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED

"0x0000008E: KERNEL_MODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLEDA kernel mode program generated an exception which the error handler didn't catch. These are nearly always hardware compatibility issues (which sometimes means a driver issue or a need for a BIOS upgrade).

0x1000008E: KERNEL_MODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED_M
Essentially the same error as 0x8E above"

Error code 1000008e Blue screen of death

Debugging a DUMP file in XP
thread779-1292544

How to Create and Use XP Critical Error DUMP files
faq779-6451

Ignore the first link I provided, I had assumed that NetOP would use the RD DLL...

What service pack version is the install? make sure the laptop is updated, if not already...

what firewall is installed? certain, almost all software firewalls install KERNEL drivers, which can cause issues if they become corrupt...

general help at present:

update BIOS, update NIC drivers...

run full antiviral and antimalware scans, e.g. MBAM, SuperSpywareRemover, SpyBot S&D (not just one but several, as one app will not pick up all malwares out there)...

Ben
"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."
How to ask a question, when posting them to a professional forum.
Only ask questions with yes/no answers if you want "yes" or "no"

Thanks Ben and Linney,

I have read through your posts and links and they are really useful. I am sure they would be of help to many users out there. However, I am still experiencing the BSODs. Video card drivers and BIOS have been updated. Possibly I should update the other drivers as well, but it only seems to happen when we remote in via NetOp leading me to believe it is related to the application itself, or the graphic drivers. Also, we had an incident where we got a BSOD with stop c00021a fatal system error too. We have decided to remove NetOp for now. Please let me know if you have any other suggestions...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back