Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

BSOD - UNEXPECTED_KERNAL...BLAH BLAH...

Status
Not open for further replies.

brettums

IS-IT--Management
Dec 27, 2000
US
Hi everyone,

I just recently rebuilt a machine (home built) w/w2k pro. ever since I rebuilt it I've been getting BSOD after about an hr or so.....
some errors state it's this one file : n4_display.dll
(now I have an Janson Geforce 2 (Nvidea card) I know this file is a display file for the drivers to the card.... I've de-inatalled, reinstalled, killed the drivers in safemode, even deleted the nvidea files manually..... and reinstalled the drivers (newones that just came out on 6/6/01.

Can anyone else help me with this problem please?

thanks
-Brett

Well, the first thing I would reccommend would be to try to patch it with the most recent Service Pack, which I believe is SP2.

Doc

There are a few things you can try. Apart from the latest nvidia reference drivers, do you have a copy of the 650 or 647 release. If so try these first as according to nvdia's site the new release has a lot of changes and 647 and 650 I know to be stable.
Also if you have a via chipset based mboard download and install the latest 4in1 drivers ver 431v. This will update the gart support for w2k.
Also via chipsets and gforce2 cards can sometimes have problems with 4x transfers on the agp bus. Enter the Bios and set the agp bus to 2x transfer.
Also download and install directx8 and service pack2 for win2k. They all have little tweaks to help elieviate the via/gforce2 problems.
Hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back