Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

BSOD problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

mach04

Technical User
Jun 21, 2004
DK
I am facing blue screen error with my laptop when I want to erase the temporary Internet explorer files. I use Ccleaner for this purpose, and I receive a blue screen giving error because of System Restore Exception. The laptops starts again and works fine until I try to delete these files.

Is there a different way to erase these files without getting a blue screen error?
thanks in advance

Just out of curiosity why are you not using the built in temp file/cookie deleter in "Tools" "Internet Options"?

"Silence is golden, duct tape is silver...

I am sorry I forgot to mention that I have also used that method but still gives me a blue screen.

Have you tried running hard drive diagnostics on the hard drive? You may be running into some flaky sectors.

Definitely agree with rclark250, hardware tests should be run to verify integrity.
Another question tho, is System Restore necessary for this machine? Since I'm unaware if you have any backup procedures in place for this PC I wont tell you to turn off System Restore but if you have proper backup in place......

what kind of diagnostic tools are you mentioning?

Try Safe Mode (Do you have this problem with System Restore in Safe Mode?).

Advanced startup options (including safe mode)

If you cannot reproduce the errors in Safe Mode see if you can further isolate the cause.

How to troubleshoot a problem by performing a clean boot in Windows Vista or in Windows 7

Try running ChkDsk to check your drive for errors. Right-click your Drive icon/ Properties/ Tools/ Error Checking. Try it first by not checking either box (Read-only mode) to see if it flags any hard drive or file problems. If it does, start by ticking both boxes, in any further rerun.

The hard drive manufacturer will have free diagnostic software that is bootable, or that may even run from within Windows, that will thoroughly check the condition of your hard drive.

How to Use the Memory Diagnostics Tool in Vista or Win 7.

See how many unsigned drivers you have running on your machine. This article will guide you on the instructions but all you have to do is type sigverif in Start Run.

How to identify unsigned drivers using sigverif utility in Windows Vista

You can even try a System Restore from the recovery environment of Windows 7.

Using System Restore from the Vista Windows Recovery Environment

burn the cd with imgburn and boot and choose hdd tests, and look for the one for the manufacturers diagnostic test, and run the short and long test. If it passes both you should be ok with no hdd issues causing the bsod. I had a laptop just the other day, fail the diags, and ask if I wanted to try to mark the sectors bad, and when it got to the bad sectors it crashed the laptop hard, twice, so I tried a different test, and write all 1's to the drive, and that caused it to shut down also. Changed the drive, and all is golden now. Since it was the mother-in-laws, I'm happy she is happy. :)

This may not apply - but it's worth a try. I had recurring problems with my desktop. When I would access a large sub-directory with lots of files, my system would lock up. It got worse and worse. I finally traced it down to a flaky SATA cable! Try pulling your laptop hard drive out, and plugging it back in - can't hurt!

Is it possible to choose any manufactures test program, or does it have to be the same as the hard drive producer that its sitting in my laptop?

If you choose any of the big market, seagate,hitachi, WD they will give you a model number and that can lead you to the correct manufacturer, but they will all test any drive, you will not get access to the tools like low level format and such with a mismatch diagnostic and drive. But they will all run a short and long test on other manufacturers drives.

I have tried some of them but before the test begins it asks me for a serial number, 8 digits, Is it for the hard drive???

I've never had any of them prompt for a serial number. maybe GWscan on a non gateway. But I tend to use Seatools,Data life, and Drive fitness tools, if I don't know who made the drive, and didn't feel like pulling it and looking at it.

I can not open the laptop as it is only 3 months old and the warranty will be lost if it is opened by other than the authorised technicians.
So I am going to test other programs that you mentioned to see if it helps.

If you downloaded the Ultimate Boot CD as proposed by rclarck250, use the Maxtor Powermax hard drive test. I've personally used it on all drive manufacturer's hard disks with good success rate. It goes through the main SMART test with the advanced test and also does a platter/sector scan.

What brand of laptop is this? I've never heard of one not allowing opening of the bottom or side access panels. I've had HP tell me to open up the doors and reseat things,and then ship me a preloaded hard drive under warranty. I do not do warranty work for HP,normally.

My laptop is an ASUS, and the HD as I see it from SIW, its a common with no name. The warranty only allow me to upgrade the RAM.

I have tried some of them but before the test begins it asks me for a serial number, 8 digits, Is it for the hard drive???
could quite be, that the HDD is password protected, but it could also be that you attempted to use a payed version of a testing tool and it is now asking the KEY...

Ben
"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."
How to ask a question, when posting them to a professional forum.
Only ask questions with yes/no answers if you want "yes" or "no"

I managed to run some test on my HD but it didn't show any failure.

Is it possible to adjust in Win 7, when a BSOD appears, such that the blue screen remains until the user press a certain button like Enter to restart the pc.
I experience that it happens so fast that I can not write down the errors it shows. In this way I want to search for these errors on Google or share it on this forum to get more information about it.

Have you ran memtest off of the UBCD yet? Bad RAM will cause BSOD.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back