Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

BSOD messages Stop 0x1E

Status
Not open for further replies.

pmele

Programmer
Mar 14, 2001
US
This problem has been driving me crazy for weeks. Keep getting 3 different BSOD messages with no indication of what driver or service is causing the problem. No dump to examine, tried debuggers, starting with crashdump and debug, nothing seems to tell me what driver or service is failing.

BSOD 0x1E (0xC0000005, 0xA004E5C8, 0x0, 0x6A2E2E78) KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED in Win32k.sys

BSOD 0x1E (0xC0000005, 0xA00478E1, 0x1, 0x754A04C2) KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED in Win32k.sys

BSOD 0x50 (0xF000EF75, 0xA00130A5, 0x0, 0x??) PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA in Win32k.sys

Can anyone tell me how I can track this down without a dump file to examine? Happens randomly, but can usually force it when using Jasc Media Center reading 1200 or more images for a thumbnail album.

SYSTEM:
Code:
FIC MotherBoard V-503A Socket 7 VIA w/sound AMI BIOS VerJN413
AMD K6-2 550
384MB DRAM
2 hard drives -
   WD 15 GB (2 partitions, both FAT32)
   WD 30 GB (2 partitions, both NTFS)
1 CDRW
MGA Video
Macronix NIC
SOFTWARE:
Code:
Win2k Pro
TZO Service
NAV 2000 Ver 6.10.20
Argo Mailer Service
IIS 5 with basic Web, FTP and Perl services
Replaced, reloaded and updated all hardware drivers.
Updated all VIA drivers and have the latest BIOS update installed.
Replaced Motherboard and Memory (Have a Win98 system with same MB)
Checked, rechecked, scanned hard drives
Moved swap file from a FAT32 partition to NTFS partition (600mb min to 1200mb max)
Paul Mele
DFAS-CL/TSAD

at what point do you get these BSODs? What do you click on? Take us through the steps you go through to get these BSOD screens. More info would be much appreciated s-)

Julie

It happens randomly. Could be writing an email using outlook, in notepad reviewing something, using Dpeg (image duplicate finder), in Media Center creating thumbnail albums. Sometimes it just happens on its own or when restarting after a crash just after I login and before it completes the startup programs.

I have just eliminated MS Office Startup 97 and Quicken Startup from running and so far I have had no problems, but it has only been a few hours and a few test runs to see if things still crash.

Another question would be "Why do I have two dllhost.exe and two svchost.exe processes running when I look in Task Manager?"
Paul Mele
DFAS-CL/TSAD

It's hard to say if those duplicate apps are actually causing the problem. Obviously windows isn't liking something. I may be wrong, but something seems terribly wrong. If you get the BSOD at random, something in windows is hosed, to say the least. You don't have to take my advice of course, but maybe you should consider a system restore, or a complete reinstall. Something in your system seems corrupted beyond repair and extraction.

Then again, I'm not always right.
Good luck!
Julie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back