Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

BS 11 dbdefrag login problems 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

mwalkdba

MIS
Mar 22, 2002
US
Have the same problem with any of the Brightstor 11 command line utilities. I use the format
"dbdefrag -a -L [bkup server name];[server local admin];[server local admin password] astpsdat"

I have tried using caroot, domain (enterprise admin) and the fully qualified domain admin userid.
The error message is "error -2005" which means that the backup server name is incorrect. Not so.
I know I ran these utilities some time in the past on version 9. Any ideas?

See faq478-3982 for a definition on the error codes.

Check in the BAB home directory for a readme, I think it is dbutils or vldmutils.htm. It will have the server and user names and the password. It is looking for the server name of the database itself and not the system name, and a specific user name and password.

I'm also having issues with the database executables. I can't get any of them to work correctly. I'll run the "dbcheck -a asjob" and it will prompt me with "Enter Raima server name:" I have no idea what to type in on this. I looked through the other threads, CA's website, and the vldmutils.htm document but still could not find the server name. I tried using all variations of the server I was trying to run it on but I always get the same error: "Failed to log into server 'ECM5',username 'admin' error-2005"

Any ideas?

First thanks to davidmichael for leading me in the right direction. For BS11 at least the db server name is "CASDB".
The format for dbdefrag on astpsdat, for example:
dbdefrag -a -L casdb;admin;secret astpsdat
(note that you actually use "admin" and "secret", literally)
By the way, after running version 11 for about 3 weeks, I uninstalled and reverted to version 9.01. Problems with DB engine stopping constantly, self-cancelled bkups with no explanation, many other probs. Finally the manager locked up and nothing, even rebooting would fix it. 9.01 also had a problem where the merge function didn't work. Thanks to email help from a CA engineer (?) (miracles do happen) you must make sure that after 9.01, you are up to date with patches and a new registry key, which I can't find at the moment.

I tried that and it didn't work mwalkdba. Here is what happens:

I type: "dbdefrag -a -L casdb;admin;secret astpsdat" (no quotes of course)
It replies: "Failed to log into server 'casdb',username 'admin': error -2005." (without the quotes).

I verified that the server name is CASDB in the \DATABASE\velocis.ini file. All this is coming about because of upgrading to BrightStor 11. I think if I can't get this to work I'll just uninstall and go back to 9.01 as well. I have a feeling I will want to defrag anyway just to keep things clean though.

I answered my own question, and I'll post it here for anyone else who might be having a problem. I deletd \temp\*.* and \database\r*.* and after that everything started working good. Just an FYI for everyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back