Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Browsing problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

IS-IT--Management
Dec 12, 2003
US
I am on a network set up as follows
NT 4.0 Domain controllers
Win2k workstations
4 Class C networks each its own VLAN

The problem is that I cannot browse computers through my network places on my own segment. I can see workstations on the the other segments. every computer on the segment has the same issue. I am not sure if this is a problem with how the servers are set up because we do not have a domain controller on our segment or if it is a vlan issue. Does anyone have an idea how to fix this problem. We have made one workstation the master browser on the segment.

Yes, Does that cause problems?

not as such, but sounds like some sort of netbios problem.

the last netbios problem I had, I spent a day fiddling with my computer only to discover the tcpip netbios helper service wasnt starting.

I aint a netbios expert. so all i can suggest is read as much as possible about it, and you'll figure it out.

===============
Security Forums

Have you used browmon from the NT resource kit to make sure the PCs are pointing to the master browser?.
I get a problem where pcs sometimes point to a linux box here and thus they cant see the proper browse list.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back