Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

browsing network drives is slow

Status
Not open for further replies.

kingjames

MIS
May 20, 2003
US
I'm experiencing slow network browsing perfomance with Windows XP. A file on a brand new, windows xp PC, with office xp takes 6 minutes to open. It takes 3 minutes to browse the same file with 2 year old Windows 2000 and office 2000 PC. Does anyone know why?

Try going to tools>folder options in any Explorer Window. Uncheck "Automatically search for network folders & printers," or whatever it says. Also, both computers only running TCP/IP, or is possibly the 2000 also running NetBEUI? Any servers that provide name resolution services like WINS or DNS?

Matt J.

I changed the properties in the explorer>tools, window but it still takes 5 + minutes with the brand New xp PC as oppose to the 3 minutes with old Windows 2000 PC. Both PCs are running at 100 mps and both are using TCP/IP as their protocols. The folder they are browsing is on an AS/400 network mapping using secondary sign on credentials. Do you have any other suggestions?

Several suggestions to add to mattjurado's tip:

1. Be sure to do this:

Open the Registry Editor and expand this branch:-

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\RemoteComputer\NameSpace

Select this key:- (select the whole folder)
{D6277990-4C6A-11CF-8D87-00AA0060F5BF}

Delete the key. This removes checking for remote scheduled Tasks and print jobs. The effect should be evident immediately.

2. Some additional tips, as this is an issue that requires several differing approaches:

The discussion is Win2k but all is applicable to XP.

Microsoft has some noteworthy ideas:

3. Autonegotiation failures and DNS problems are often missed. These are very XP specific. Please see my notes on the issue at this thread:

thread779-540080

I'm having relatively the same issue on two identical (software and hardware) xp machines in an office. One browses great on the network and the other is rediculously slow. I've tried just about every thing out there and to no avail. The only difference between the two is that the slow one has service pack 1 installed. This has to be the reason. I've set up the same scenario on my bench in my office with both machines not having service pack 1 and I have no issues. This has got to be the problem because I know there is issues with sp1 for xp that there isn't a fix for yet. If it is not the problem them I'm stumped. But check it out anyway. And let me know if you can.

Ok I've tried the tool > options fix and the registry edit without success. But i have refined the symptoms.
I the browsing issue is more pronounced when browsing throught the file > open option in Office xp. Could there be something in Office causing the slow browsing?
I know in Office 97 the fast find would slow everything down. Is there something like that in office xp?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back