Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

browsing across vpn connection

Status
Not open for further replies.

gobear1

IS-IT--Management
Jun 27, 2007
CA
Hi

I'm new to setting up vpn's and I'm hoping to get a little help with our situation. We have an office located 2 blocks away that we want to have connected to our main office through vpn. For the sake of simplicity I'm going to switch their current subnet to match ours. We are using linksys vpn routers on either end for the connection. At the main office the vpn router is configured and has been running for some time with 8 other vpn connections coming into it from other offices. The vpn connection establishes (as seen through both router configuration pages) but we cannot browse or ping across the connection.

Let me know what configuration information I can provide to help you help me

thanks
Jeff

You should not use the IP range on both sites. Otherwise, VPN doesn't know how to route. these search results may help.

Both VPN sites are in the same IP range
A: You will not be able to do this with a VPN connection if both subnets are using the same IP subnet. What you are setting up is a LAN to LAN (also called ...
- Similar pages

Cannot access resources after establishing VPN
Therefore, both VPN server and client use the same IP address. To solve this issue, ... The VPN client receives the same IP of the VPN server . ...

Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
How to Setup Windows, Network, VPN & Remote Access on

Thanks for the reply

I did more playing with it today and came to the same conclusion. So here perhaps is a better explanation. The remote site is using IP's from 192.168.12.0 and the main network is using 192.168.0.0.

From the remote office we are using a linksys vpn router ip 192.168.12.3.

At the main office we are using a linksys vpn router ip 192.168.0.6

From the remote location I can ping 192.168.0.6 and nothing beyond...ie our domain server @ 192.168.0.100.

Do I need to manually route the traffic since they are on seperate subnets?

Thanks for any and all help.

sorry...one more point. The connection still establishes and we have a software that all the offices use their vpn connections for, and it can connect to it's server on the network @ 192.168.0.254 from the remote location.

thanks again
Jeff

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back