Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Browsers starting automatically 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

xwb

Programmer
Jul 11, 2002
GB
Since the last W10 update, if I don't shutdown Chrome, Edge or Firefox before shutting down the machine, when I start up again, it automatically loads these browsers with all the pages I was last on. This gets annoying, especially if I go to a place with a slow connection - it takes forever to get to a state where I can use the machine.

I am probably using the wrong search keys - all I am getting is how to add/remove items from automatic startup. These aren't in auto startup - they are just starting up automatically.

Is there any way of stopping this behaviour?

I'm sure this is a dumb question, but you are using Shutdown and not Standby/Sleep/Hybernate, right? To me, that sounds like a hibernation rather than shutdown.

One way to check without the start menu just in case:

1. Make sure one of the browsers is open
2. Open a CMD prompt
3. type shutdown -s -t 0 in the CMD prompt and press [Enter]
4. After computer shuts off, power it back up
5. See whether that browser indeed comes back or not.

"But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ." 1 Corinthians 15:57

Ha, my wife told me this happened to her the other day with Firefox. And she did a restart....

According to a Microsoft Support engineer on answers.microsoft.com this is the expected behaviour in the Fall Creator's update, specifically:

Microsoft Support said:
Old behavior:[ul]
[li]When you shut down your PC, all apps are closed[/li]
[li]After reboot/restart, you have to re-open any app you'd like to use[/li]
[/ul]

New behavior:[ul]
[li]When shutting down your PC, any open apps are "bookmarked" (for lack of a better word)[/li]
[li]After reboot/restart, these apps will re-open automatically[/li]
[/ul]

If you want to start with no apps open (other than those set to auto-start via Task Manager/Start), you'll need to ensure all apps are closed before shutting down or restarting the PC.

Clearly this is far from ideal, but there seems to be no configuration option to alter this behaviour. One workaround is to launch a commandline (or shortcut) shutdown or restart:
[tt]shutdown.exe /s /t 0
shutdown.exe /r /t 0[/tt]

I forgot I read about that at one point, but apparently forgot. [tongue]

"But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ." 1 Corinthians 15:57

Hi
In fact win 10 reopen the browser only but not other applications.
yahya

Does anyone have a script that will close all the applications when I shut down windows 10? I do not want the previous applications restarting. I may have had to shutdown windows because an application was causing problems. I don't mind then restarting application, but to not make it a settable option is just plain stupid

Bill
Lead Application Developer
New York State, USA

A script? What about the shortcuts suggested above. They'll close down (or restart) Windows without the problem. Much easier than a script to close applications down individually, surely.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back