Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Browsers closes without giving any notification

Status
Not open for further replies.

mach04

Technical User
Jun 21, 2004
DK
I have recently being experiencing that when visiting some web pages such as yahoo games, the pages I have opened suddenly closes without noticing, sometimes the rest are not closed. This does happens both to IE6 and Firefox 2.
I have ran several antispyware and an antivirus but none of them have helped me in this case. I have no problem using the pc nor going on internet. I am using XP home version.
I was wondering if someone know how to tackle this.

Download hijackthis from the link below. Choose do a system scan and save a logfile. Post the logfile on here. Do not attempt to fix anything yourself unless you know what you are doing as not everything it shows is bad.

There is a point in wisdom and knowledge that when you reach it, you exceed what is considered possible - Jason Schoon

I would guess that it's related to something added-on to the browser. This is more common with IE (everything tries to hook into IE), but it's also possible with firefox. The easiset to look for are the most common - flash, shockwave, java, add-on toolbars, etc. Make sure you get all those add-ins updated to their most recent versions. For IE6, you can see the loaded add-ins at Internet Options, Programs tab, Manage Add-Ons button.

Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v2.0.2
Scan saved at 20:34:10, on 06-10-2007
Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2900.2180)
Boot mode: Normal

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\ZoneLabs\vsmon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\Program\Lavasoft\Ad-Aware 2007\aawservice.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\Ati2evxx.exe
C:\Program\Common files\Microsoft Shared\VS7Debug\mdm.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\PSIService.exe
C:\Program\Common files\Softwin\BitDefender Communicator\xcommsvr.exe
C:\Program\Common files\Softwin\BitDefender Update Service\livesrv.exe
C:\Program\Common files\Softwin\BitDefender Scan Server\bdss.exe
C:\Program\Softwin\BitDefender10\vsserv.exe
C:\Program\ATI Technologies\ATI Control Panel\atiptaxx.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Softwin\BITDEF~1\bdmcon.exe
C:\Program\Softwin\BitDefender10\bdagent.exe
C:\Program\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\zlclient.exe
C:\Program\Common files\Real\Update_OB\realsched.exe
C:\Program\Microsoft ActiveSync\Wcescomm.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
C:\Program\SUPERAntiSpyware\SUPERAntiSpyware.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~3\rapimgr.exe
C:\Program\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
C:\HiJackThis version 2.exe

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Toolbar,LinksFolderName = Hyperlinks
O2 - BHO: Adobe PDF Reader Link Helper - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program\Common files\Adobe\Acrobat\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: SSVHelper Class - {761497BB-D6F0-462C-B6EB-D4DAF1D92D43} - C:\Programmer\Java\jre1.6.0_02\bin\ssv.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ATIModeChange] Ati2mdxx.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ATIPTA] C:\Program\ATI Technologies\ATI Control Panel\atiptaxx.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [BDMCon] C:\PROGRA~1\Softwin\BITDEF~1\bdmcon.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [BDAgent] "C:\Program\Softwin\BitDefender10\bdagent.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ZoneAlarm Client] "C:\Program\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\zlclient.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [TkBellExe] "C:\Program\Common files\Real\Update_OB\realsched.exe" -osboot
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Adobe Reader Speed Launcher] "C:\Program\Adobe\Reader 8.0\Reader\Reader_sl.exe"
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [H/PC Connection Agent] "C:\Program\Microsoft ActiveSync\Wcescomm.exe"
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [ctfmon.exe] C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [SUPERAntiSpyware] C:\Program\SUPERAntiSpyware\SUPERAntiSpyware.exe
O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-19\..\Run: [CTFMON.EXE] C:\WINDOWS\System32\CTFMON.EXE (User 'LOCAL SERVICE')
O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-20\..\Run: [CTFMON.EXE] C:\WINDOWS\System32\CTFMON.EXE (User 'NETWORK SERVICE')
O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-18\..\Run: [CTFMON.EXE] C:\WINDOWS\System32\CTFMON.EXE (User 'SYSTEM')
O4 - HKUS\.DEFAULT\..\Run: [CTFMON.EXE] C:\WINDOWS\System32\CTFMON.EXE (User 'Default user')
O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\Office10\EXCEL.EXE/3000
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program\Java\jre1.6.0_02\bin\ssv.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program\Java\jre1.6.0_02\bin\ssv.dll
O9 - Extra button: Create Mobile Favorite - {2EAF5BB1-070F-11D3-9307-00C04FAE2D4F} - C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~3\INetRepl.dll
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {2EAF5BB2-070F-11D3-9307-00C04FAE2D4F} - C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~3\INetRepl.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Create Mobile Favorite... - {2EAF5BB2-070F-11D3-9307-00C04FAE2D4F} - C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~3\INetRepl.dll
O9 - Extra button: Research - {92780B25-18CC-41C8-B9BE-3C9C571A8263} - C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\Office12\REFIEBAR.DLL
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O16 - DPF: Yahoo! Pool 2 - O16 - DPF: {67DABFBF-D0AB-41FA-9C46-CC0F21721616} (DivXBrowserPlugin Object) - O20 - Winlogon Notify: !SASWinLogon - C:\Program\SUPERAntiSpyware\SASWINLO.dll
O23 - Service: Ad-Aware 2007 Service (aawservice) - Lavasoft AB - C:\Program\Lavasoft\Ad-Aware 2007\aawservice.exe
O23 - Service: Ati HotKey Poller - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\System32\Ati2evxx.exe
O23 - Service: BitDefender Scan Server (bdss) - Unknown owner - C:\Program\Common files\Softwin\BitDefender Scan Server\bdss.exe
O23 - Service: BitDefender Desktop Update Service (LIVESRV) - SOFTWIN S.R.L. - C:\Program\Common files\Softwin\BitDefender Update Service\livesrv.exe
O23 - Service: ProtexisLicensing - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\system32\PSIService.exe
O23 - Service: TrueVector Internet Monitor (vsmon) - Zone Labs, LLC - C:\WINDOWS\system32\ZoneLabs\vsmon.exe
O23 - Service: BitDefender Virus Shield (VSSERV) - SOFTWIN S.R.L. - C:\Program\Softwin\BitDefender10\vsserv.exe
O23 - Service: BitDefender Communicator (XCOMM) - SOFTWIN S.R.L - C:\Program\Common files\Softwin\BitDefender Communicator\xcommsvr.exe

--
End of file - 5438 bytes

only thing that looked suspicious was this
R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Toolbar,LinksFolderName = Hyperlinks

id run avg anti spyware to make sure nothing has been missed

Is this just happening with yahoo pages or other ones?

There is a point in wisdom and knowledge that when you reach it, you exceed what is considered possible - Jason Schoon

it does happens to some other pages too, at yahoo it happens when I want to play backgammon, but not for chess or pool games.
What do you mean that it looks suspicious?

because nothing else I seen was refered to that and it just says hyperlinks. If you installed it, then its legit. If not id remove it

I haven't installed any toolbar, and I can't see any among the installed programs. How can I remove it?

Put a checkmark next to it and click fix checked on hijackthis .

I did it, but it didnt help. I have even ran a couple of win optimizers to correct and defrag the registry, but no help.

Are there any errors when it happens?

It shows no errors at all, just suddenly closes the browsers.
I have not made any updates on add-ons, but the system is updated to SP2.

What antiviruses have you run? Do a windows update

I am using Bitdefender as antivirus. The Windows is absolutely being kept up to date, so as the antivirus and antispyware programs.

Yes I have Flash and Java installed on my pc, but they are just common adds on and harmless. But I dont have installed any plug-ins for Firefox.

How to run IE in no adds on mode??

There are 15 add-ons programs inlcuded in IE6. I deactivatet all of them and after restart of IE I was told that Java is not installed.

After entering Yahoo the game page loaded but it was completely blank, at the bottom there was an icon telling to adminstrate the adds-on.

Just be systematic - enable them 1 at at time & test. Be sure to update any that are not current - start with Java. Download & install the latest version from java.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back