Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Browser Toolbar - JavaScript or Other Language?

Status
Not open for further replies.

chitownclone

Programmer
Mar 30, 2004
US
I am working on a research project that involves tracking and analyzing how a research panel interacts on the web. As I am pretty unfarmilar with broswer technology....I was hoping someone could point me in the right direction.

1) What language(s) are Alexa's and Compete's toolbar development in? JavaScript, C++ or other?

2) What are the pros/cons between a JavaScript toolbar vs C++/other?

3) How detailed of web behavior data can I collect via toolbar? Is it similar to server log click-through transaction data collected by Google Analytics like referral URL, current URL, broswer settings, IP, etc?

4) If anyone knows...how much more data can be collected with an installed pc-based program vs broswer toolbar?

Thanks a ton for the info!!!

Toolbars are not written in Javascript. Even in Firefox the code that it is Javascript is wrapped in code that isn't javascript.

See if there are pre-existing research solutions available - using javascript to write a web browser toolbar is a world of waste.

Cheers,
Jeff

[tt]Jeff's Blog [!]@[/!] CodeRambler
[/tt]

Make sure your web page and css validates properly against the doctype you have chosen - before you attempt to debug a problem!

FAQ216-6094

Thanks for the heads up. So I guess the follow up quesetion would be....

What langauges are IE toolbars typically developed in?

They can be developed in any language that produces the right output format for IE. I'd go so far as to say it's normally probably C or C++, but as I've also said, it could be ANY language.

Hope this helps,
Dan

Coedit Limited - Delivering standards compliant, accessible web solutions

[tt]Dan's Page [blue]@[/blue] Code Couch
[/tt]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back