Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Browser shuts down

Status
Not open for further replies.

deebeetoo

Programmer
Jun 12, 2001
CA
I had a strange problem. I am able to open certain sites like cnn.com....however if i try to open 680news.com or some other sites with .org extensions...all open browser windows in IE6 closes. I tried in Netscape and same thing there too...all browser windows close.
I am using Win XP Pro. I have Norton Internet Security and Norton AV running in the background.

I was able to open those sites earlier like yesterday even. I tried a system restore to an earlier date...tried uninstall/reinstall IE6 but still no luck.

The change I made was installed and uninstalled this morning an Acer scanner to the printer port. I have re-connected my HP Deskjet 810C again now.

Please help....I cannot even view my own website I uploaded. FYI it doesnt even allow me to preview that home page in FP2002.

I have now solved this as it was shutting down onlt y on the sites where there were java applets as I had disabled applets in the explorer settings

deebeetoo,

Are you using a programn callled Popup stopper.

hear this causes the problem.

reghakr

deebeetoo,

Let me add my two cents. PopUp Killer, as well as other popup ad removers, will not let you view a page once it is flagged as a popup ad. In fact, PUK can close a page without you even noticing! This prog, and sure the others, will let you play with the settings and give you more headroom! [thumbsup2]

I had Popup Stopper installed and it caused all kinds of problems. One of which was that it caused all Microsoft games to stop working. If you opened Solitare you would get an illegal operation. It took me awhile to figure out the Popup Stopper was doing it. "A little knowledge is a dangerous thing....." [morning]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back