Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Browser "mailto" opens Outlook 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ctutor1

Instructor
Feb 20, 1999
US
I click on a mailto:________ at a webpage and it opens a new occurrence of Outlook 2000, rather then the new mail form. How do I fix this?

That's because the mailto: protocol is associated with Outlook. If you've created an HTML or ASP page that has a form which people can use to send mail, then you should have an http: link to that HTML or ASP file. The same goes for a CGI or PHP file that does the same thing.

If you haven't created an HTML, ASP, etc. form which people can use to email you, then a mailto: link is a viable option for you. This will create an email using the default mail handler on the client. People can then create the message they want to send and then click "Send". You can even set a mailto: link to include a default address(es) in the TO: or CC: or the BCC: fields. You can also set it to include a default Subject or Body field.

HTH,

Michael
popeonline.net

Ctutor,

In Internet Exploretr, go to Tools>Internet Options, click the Programs tab and verify Outlook Express is set under the E-mail drop-down list.

If that doesn't work try the following:

Click Start|Run and type in this line exactly, including the quotation marks:

"C:\Program Files\Outlook Express\msimn.exe" /reg

That will reset the registry entries and you can then assign OE as the default mail client.

reghakr

Thanks guys, but what I need is the mailto: name for Microsoft Outlook??? (not Outlook Express) TIA!!

Mary E. Pagel
President
Computer Tutor®,Inc.(Since 1983)

Ctutor1

If it is MailTo then go to the file association for URL:MailTo Protocol. Select EDIT and then select the OPEN action. Select EDIT. The command line should read something close to (depending on where Outlook is installed)

"C:\PROGRAM FILE\MICROSOFT OFFICE\Office\OUTLOOK.EXE" -c IPM.Note /m "%1"

This will cause and Outlook new mail message to open when you click on a MailTo link. I hope this what you need. joegz
"Sometimes you just need to find out what it's not first to figure out what it is."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back