Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Browser page won't load on opening?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DollyG38

Technical User
Feb 27, 2015
US
Hi all. I have been reading all of bsquared18's post and have done some of the things mentioned. I added this there too as well as starting a new thread so I'm not overlooked. I hope that is okay as I'm a newby to Tek-tips. Sure glad to have found this site.

I'm trying to get my sister's desktop browser IE 11 on win 8.1 (default home page Google) to load up when opening IE but get the Google page blue circle just spinning.
She has Cox cable.

I have pinged tek-tips.com an 216.45.19.33 and get the following for both:
Packets: Sent = 4 Received = 0 Lost = 4 (100% loss)

I checked the internet properties and the Proxy server is unchecked.

Looked for the host file (name?) in C:\windows\system32\drivers and found no file named hostfile (?)

I tried yahoo and the page come up great. Google dies.

I don't know where Webroot is. It is not is the control panel uninstall list.

I haven't looked yet to see if ccleaner is even on this pc.

Didn't do any of the command prompt ipconfig stuff listed above because I'm not familiar with the commands and am looking for a simpler solution as I don't know what those commands will do to her pc.

Any help you can give me will be greatly appreciated by us both.
PS: I am only going to be here for a few days so bear with me if any answers. Thanks in advance.

Try changing the DNS settings on the PC to Google's (or someone elses) to see if this resolves it:

8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4

Robert Wilensky:
We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare. Now, thanks to the Internet, we know this is not true.

I tried to reply to Sympology's answer and was denied. So ...

Where do I change the DNS? IE, control panel, where?

Thanks all for your help. I believe the problem is solved.

I ran ccleaner and after reboot the page comes up fine. At least for now.

No further help is needed at this time.

Kudos to all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back