Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Browser modification

Status
Not open for further replies.

PM2000

Programmer
Aug 18, 2000
BM
Does anyone know a good site to learn how to modify browsers in ASP.Net.

I am trying to write an simple application for my office. I want to do it in ASP.net because I don't want to have to install the new app on every PC each time I am asked to make a small change.

However, I would like the menu system to look as if it were a vb.net app. I have heard that this is possible, but have not been able to find any code to do it. I have checked this site as well as Planet Source Code, etc but haven't really found much.

Any suggestions would be appreciated and sample code would be even better!

Thanks in advance,
Peter

the core of asp.net lies in server side processing of data....if you'd like to modify the look of a browser window, you will need to investigate javascript or vbscript on the client side. it's true that asp.net renders client side code, but there is nothing built in to alter the look and feel of the browser per say.

if ALL users will be using internet explorer, you can safely use vbscript on the client, otherwise stick to javascript.

there are many very good menu systems created in javascript that could very easily be modified to be used by a user control in asp.net.

i would approach your solution from a single splash screen that uses a javascript call to window.open('main_app.aspx') . if you read up on javascript, you will see that you can set parameters on the window size and menus, scrollbars, etc. from the window.open function.

then you can simply put a user control at the top of each page that has a static javascript based menu system on it. as you become more familiar with asp.net you can modify the user control implementation to reflect the current page and change the menu system.

to see examples of javascript menus, and their asp.net user control implementations, go to or
if this doesn't help, give more details of waht you're looking for mike griffith
----------------------------
mgriffith@lauren.com
mdg12@po.cwru.edu

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back