Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Browser has connection and then loses it, but can ping

Status
Not open for further replies.

nshenry03

Technical User
Feb 9, 2006
US
I've got a user who can work on the internet just fine for a reasonable amount of time and then suddenly his browser stops working (Both Firefox and IE7). He gets the 404 Not Found error for all sites. He is still able to ping, his browsers just do not work (They are configured properly for our LAN). The TCP/IP are also configured properly for our LAN and his job function.

A reboot of the computer always works, but an ipconfig release and renew does not and neither does a repair connection.

Any advice would be appreciated

Not sure how to check the host file, could you explain please.

I will try the nslookup when his connection goes down.

This is his host file, it's the same as other computers that work

# Copyright (c) 1993-1999 Microsoft Corp.
#
# This is a sample HOSTS file used by Microsoft TCP/IP for Windows.
#
# This file contains the mappings of IP addresses to host names. Each
# entry should be kept on an individual line. The IP address should
# be placed in the first column followed by the corresponding host name.
# The IP address and the host name should be separated by at least one
# space.
#
# Additionally, comments (such as these) may be inserted on individual
# lines or following the machine name denoted by a '#' symbol.
#
# For example:
#
# 102.54.94.97 rhino.acme.com # source server
# 38.25.63.10 x.acme.com # x client host

127.0.0.1 localhost

Yes fine. Just though it was worth chekcing in wasn't point at an old dns server

Possible a DNS cache corruption or poisoning, to flush the DNS CACHE type in a RUN-BOX (CMD window): ipconfig /flushdns

Ben

"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."

i'll give that a try as well, thanks for your help

hello i am having the same problem with ie7 and firefox i keep losing my browser connectivitey, how vere i can still use outllok to send /receive emails and i can still use skype!, i have pinged google continusly (ping google.com -t) and it pings for some time and then times out then goes back to pinging it again for a few mintues to time out again, i have released and renewed mi ip address, i have flushed my dns (ipconfig /flushdns) i have tried a different netork, ISP, even another laptop with the same config as comparison. i am able to ftp thru the browser, from my understanding it seems the http gets to port 80 and doesnt know whaere to go i'm thinking it it dns related but i can't figure out how, i even dropped my antivirus and firewall. and DELL supoort is a joke. can anybody help me?

Sorry, I'm still having the same problem as well. nslookup looks clean when it goes down, host file is fine, /flushdns does not alleviate the problem, also disabled firewall and antivirus and still had same problem. anybody have any other suggestions?

one other thing I can think off... Winsocks!

to reset them, type in a cmd window: netsh winsock reset catalog

other than that, and if it is not MALWARE related, I am baffled...

Ben

"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."

thanks, I will try that. Also, I just noticed on other odd thing... I can still access https websites ( for example.) I will also try to download spybot and addaware and see I've got something.

Here is a printout of IE's Error Diagnostics
<trace traceType="info" text="FTP (Passive): Successfully connected to ftp.microsoft.com." />
<trace traceType="info" text="HTTPS: Successfully connected to />
<trace traceType="warn" text="HTTP: Error 12029 connecting to A connection with the server could not be established" />
<trace traceType="warn" text="HTTP: Error 12029 connecting to A connection with the server could not be established" />
<trace traceType="error" text="Could not make an HTTP connection." />

ok so i fixed it!!!!! it was winsocks if you are not sure how top proceed with insocks then download it here
remember always do a back up of your registry before changing anything.

since doing this my laptop seems (knock on wood) to be fine

hope this helps you all

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back