Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Browser don't work in Internet Sharing Connection 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guaicaipuro

Technical User
Sep 22, 2001
PT
Hi

i have a peer-to-peer home network with 2 PC running Windows XP Pro. I have also a ADSL modem connected to a different NIC in the host PC. Is possible to connect to internet with the host PC but not with the client. In other words i cant use the browser (internet explorer) or the email program (outlook) with the client computer.
Internet Sharing is enabled in the host.

If someone can help me i will be gratefull.

Can you use one computer to browse the files on the other computer?

go to the command prompt and type ipconfig on the client

if you don't have an ip address of something like 192.168.0.2 and a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0, type in ipconfig /renew

if you grab a good ip and subnet, you probably just need to tell your tcp/ip protocal on the client nic to obtain and ip address automatically (control panel->network connections-> right click on nic and hit properties -> properties of tcp/ip)

if you can't get an ip, go to the server. check in advanced properties for the adsl nic that you have "allow other users to connect through this connection" checked...and also you should turn the firewall on if you don't have another. if that was alright, try removing the connection sharing and re-enabling it after a reboot. mike griffith
----------------------------
mgriffith@lauren.com
mdg12@po.cwru.edu

If you verify that you are getting an I.P and still can't connect try this;

1. Make sure you're not running any firewall software on the server for starters (sort it out after you get it set up)

2.This could be to do with a problem with ADSL/ICS and MTU's. Check out some really good instructions on this here:
Only try these after you have gone through what mgriffith suggested.

Hope this helps [smurf]

You fail to mention how you have the peer-to-peer connected. If you're going directly from one NIC to the other NIC, you have to use a cross-over cable, not a straight-through. First thing to check - are the lights on on the NIC on the client computer...

Next, open up Network Connections, right click that connection, and click Repair. Once it finishes, open up a command window (start/run/cmd(enter)) and type

IPCONFIG/ALL(enter)

If the address on the NIC is anything other than a 192.x.x.x address, you're not getting an address from the ICS HOST computer.

On the ICS Host, make sure sharing is actually enabled, and that it's on the adapter connected to your broadband and not the one to the local network. I suggest renaming the one to the broadband connection so that you can easily tell which is which.

If you're using third-party firewall software, try disabling it, then do the repair on the client computer again. Get an IP this time? If so, your firewall software needs to have some settings changed. If you're unsure what settings but need protection right now, simply enable the Internet Connection Firewall on the adapter that goes to the DSL connection. That will protect you from inbound stuff until you get your firewall fixed.

If this doesn't help, give us more details about the setup and we'll see if we can't help.

Hi

At first I wish to thanks all your concern.
To be more specific I have to mention a few things:
The network is made with two NICS, straight-through cable and a hub-switch.
The network itself works fine, sharing files and printers with no problem.
When I execute ipconfig on the Host the return is:

Ethernet adapter Realtek:
Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :

Ethernet adapter 3Com:
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.254.2
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.0.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.254.254

PPP adapter ADSL:
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 213.13.77.185
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.255
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 213.13.77.185

On the client:

Ethernet adapter D-Link:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix .: mshome.net
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.51
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1

The allow other users to connect…. Is enabled in the Host
No third part firewall it’s running
The ICS is enabled on the adapter connected to my broadband

I hope you can help me, thanks all

This site may be of use (I use cable modem not ADSL which only gives 2 network connections/IP addresses in IPconfig - looks like you might need to share the ADSL PPP adapter rather than the network card ADSL is plugged into). Hope this helps

Hello...

You should put in the DNS numbers provided by your ISP into the client computer...That should do the trick provided you can ping external ip's that exist...

hope this helps....:)
Taha
thamiral@uwo.ca

hi
thank you all

especially hads, yes it was a problem with ADSL/ICS and MTU's. I follow the link and no more problem. Thank you very much

Correct - you'd have to share the "PPP adapter ADSL" as that's the actual adapter that connects to the Internet. Shaith
Network Engineer
MCP, Windows XP

hi all

Shaith when i post the problem, the adapter that shares internet was already the PPP adapter. Thanks anyway for your help.

My Regards

Glad to hear you got it working, by the way.

Now slightly off-topic: for anyone who really wants to screw up their entire way of thinking about IP, install IPV6 support from the beta service pack and connect to the 6 bone on a tunnel, then check out those new-fangled IP addresses.

Old IP address style: 172.0.2.1
New IP address style:
2000:0000:0:0:0000:0000:0000:0000

you thought 4 digits was bad...the new stuff is hex :)

Shaith
Network Engineer
MCP, Windows XP

Sorry I am late on the scene here..

I have a small work network with Win 2000 Pro and a ADSL and a router.

All the W98 and W2000 machines have Internet access which was configured via

select Internet Options
select Connection Wizard
select Via LAN

and Boom !!! it worked, and hasn't failed....

Now I added 3 Windows XP Pro machines

When I follow the same steps...

The internet does not connect !!!

Is there a simple check box somewhere that I am missing ????

Sorry to add this to an existing post, I have the gut feeling that it is related.... Thanks and seasons best.

John Fox
Oz

I am having all of the problems listed above and have checked everything listed. I can ping the external IP's from command prompt and DNS works fine. Just cant connect using any ports e.g. telnet, http..

This one has had me stumped for a while now.

Configuration is cable modem, 2 xp pro machines, x-over cable between two NIC's. Cable modem internet connection.

Help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back