Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Browser differences - forefox vs explorer 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

cjones

Technical User
Apr 7, 2001
US
Hello--

I'm posting here & dreamweaver since I used Dreamweaver & some online coding to do this. I've got some html background but it's been a very long time. This page looks exactly as I want in firefox but totally screwed up in explorer. I'm totally frustrated. Any suggestions?

Any tips are greatly appreciated!
Thanks!
Christine

When you said you used Dreamweaver, did you use dreamweaver on a code that was initially saved in MS Word or a similar Microsoft program? Because you have a lot of MS styling information, which is at best just contributing to the big size of the file and at worst messing up the whole thing. I think Dreamweaver has an option of cleaning up MS code, maybe you should start with that.

Here's first thing that will start helping with IE looking a bit better. You need to add doctype to your page. Doctype will assure that browsers will (attempt to) render the page in standards instead of the quirks mode. It makes a mountain of difference in IE. Look here for the list of doctypes you can use (hint: I suggest html 4 transitional):
And do not put the xml declaration above the doctype, because that confuses IE and it stops rendering in standards more.

For a simple layout like yours, I would however suggest you re-start from scratch and read up on modern coding techniques. There has been some discussion of tutorials here: thread215-1345190

Thanks V. Yes, I think part of the code I found online was from a MS document. I'm just so rusty with any webwork but ended up creating more work than I expected. I should have just taken the time to re-learn the basics.

I did select the clean up html word & that seemed to fix the problem.

Thanks so much!
Christine

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back