Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Browse in Window 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raccoon

Programmer
Aug 18, 1999
US
I want to pull a browse up. Seems pretty simple. But.... if I just issue a browse command, my screen is messed up when I come back out of the browse screen. So..., I tried the following thinking that if I browsed in a seperate window, all would be ok. This is in a click event.

DEFINE WINDOW browsewindow CLOSE FLOAT GROW ZOOM FROM 2,1 TO 30,75

ACTIVATE WINDOW browsewindow IN SCREEN TOP

BROW FIELDS login_id, confidential, create, maintain, admin, modify WINDOW BROWSEWINDOW

RELEASE WINDOW browsewindow

Now, the cmdButton indicates that it was clicked, but nothing happens. What am I doing wrong? Note that I have tried this without the "RELEASE WINDOW browsewindow" command with no difference in operation.

The BROWSE is still active in the window, it needs a home.
You need to close the table, or at least the browse (ESC or CTRL+W) before the window can be released.
Dave S.

The problem is, I never see the browse window, just the calling form. Esc and Ctrl-W have no effect.

You must have your other form as the top level form. You will need to rearrange them or the other window will be behind.
Better yet, create another form and put a grid on it.
Dave S.

Your answer is correct, but that doesn't mean I like it. All I wanted was a simple browse window. I have trouble controlling grids, and I don't want to take the time to get a grid to do all the things I can do from a browse window. Browse does all I need, without doing any extra coding, setting properties, etc... Maybe I'm missing something, but this stuff seems to get more complicated with each new version. I've been writing xBase code since DBII came out on the Osborne computers, and it seems to be getting more difficult to do even what used to be simple stuff. Now, instead of just putting in a browse command, I have to create a new form, create a grid, etc...

I tried changing properties for existing form from being top level, and see nothing at all when I run .exe. Sounds like everything is so interlocked that I can't change anything without losing something else that I spent days trying to get to work right.

Stop the world, I want off.

Yes and no. Browse is a nice tool, but try highlighting a row depending on the value in the first column. Or, try putting a picklist of values in a column. I agree, grids can be a PITA, but there are also a lot of 'features' unavailable to browses.

Try this. Put you main form back to Top-Level.
Then do your
BROWSE IN MyForm
-or-
DEFINE WINDOW browsewindow ;
CLOSE FLOAT GROW ZOOM FROM 2,1 TO 30,75
ACTIVATE WINDOW browsewindow IN MyForm TOP
BROWSE IN browsewindow
Dave S.

Hi raccoon,

oForm = CREATEOBJECT("form")
oForm.SHOW(1)
USE myTable