Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Browing for Files is very slow 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

mindixon

IS-IT--Management
Jun 25, 2001
US
When I open a file and use the dropdown list to select a drive the system takes about 25 seconds to open the shared drive. Even when I double click on my computer on the desktop it take a couple of seconds to load. First I run the repair tools for Office 2000, then I defrag the hard drive. Neither worked. I believe it is a problem associated with Windows 2000 Pro. If you have any suggestion let me know.

What Hard Drives, CD-Roms, DVD's do you have?

I've found that turning off Find Fast Indexing Service can ease the pain in some cases. Ian

"IF" is not a word it's a way of life

Are you using the Novell NetWare Client or Norton AntiVirus...?
Heath Racine
Principal Systems Engineer
Desktop and Mobile Platforms

it can be the floppy drive
if u have removed it after installing win2k
i too had the same problem
get rid of the floppy drive in the system devices

Kapil Technical Director
Infovalley Interwebspiders Pvt. Ltd.
Microsoft Certified System Engineer
visit
If u find the information provided here useful to u then let me know by clicking on the link below s-)

i do have problem eith window 2000 proffessional while startig ittales long time to log on at list 2 min
i have memory of 256mb P3 866 PROCESSIOR D815EEA INTEL MOTHER BOARD AND 40 GB OF HARDDISK SPACE DIVEDED INTO 6 PARTS
CAN SOLVE MY PROB?
LEOTHEROMEO

Are you on a network?? If you are on the network, than it will take a while because Win2k not actually disconnects itself from the share when you do not access the share drive for like 3 mins I think but once you use My Computer or for example Word to choose where you want to save the document, Win2k reconnects the shares ( if you have 3, all of them are reconnected )and that is why it takes time. If you disconnect yourself from the network, and try what you are trying to do, it will be quicker.

I find this problem very bad indeed. The machines that are slow are connected to a network. The machines themselves are win2k sp2, 1 gig machines with 128meg ram. Using the Novell client the connect to our novell servers. Every thing seems slow, browsing the filesystem opening docs take between 10-40 secs.

mindixon;
sounds like a dodgy network card/cable to me - try and swop it with another machines card and check the difference - bet you it will be fine
cheers

Hey I'm using win2k pro, and on a novell network also. Let me tell ya...it's hard trying to browse network drives. It's slow! No matter how I go, even typing the UNC is still slow.

It has nothing to do with network cards or network connection. It's just that win2k don't like novell I guess. The reason I know this is because my win98 machine use to be quite fast.

Even when I run win98 within win2k using vmware (a program that allows you to run multiple OS within an OS)my win98 is fast but win2k is still slow when accessing network.

That's why I landed on this page...trying to figure why it's so slow.

I guess everyone is having that problem too eh?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back