Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Broken Pin on Hard drive - need data

Status
Not open for further replies.

czchrn7k

MIS
Aug 7, 2004
US
Hi folks..
I really hope somebody can help me here on this one....I got this 40gig Seagate Hard drive....after a couple of slaving to a master drive,.....one of the outer pins for the IDE Cable Connector is broken.....and of course.....I think without the pin ..though power goes through the drive ...the drive won't be registered by the BIOS.....COZ data isn't being transfered...could somebody please help me on how I can get to slave this drive to pick up the data.Please let me hear from u soon.

I await the answer as i have never heard of this one before.
Someone must have been trying to connect it upside down?
Have you tried installing it and see if the bios picks it up or not?
I dont think it would do any harm to try.
Also, which pin is it? Some people around here know a lot more so if you tell them what pin, maybe they can help you.

Good advice + great people = tek-tips

Wow....its never downside up.....At least I know how to connect an IDE Cable to the connector on the hard drive...Installed it a couple of times...always..Operating System not found.....slaved it and the BIOS cant pick it up....I think this has to do with getting some screws from the drive and removing and replacing a replica of the IDE and Power connectors.....but I'm really thinkin if there is an easier way.....I wish I could give a pictorial description of the acutal position of the broken pin...lemme try....With the drive facing u(the connectors end facing you and the drive description with the model number facing up)....we have the IDE Connector....Jumper Settings...and the Power Connector in that order....If we take the "I" from the phrase "IDE Connector" to be the left end of the Connector....and the "r"....to be the right end of the connector next to the Jumper Settings,.....the pin situated at the BOTTOM LEFT END..is the broken pin.

So the "I" pin is broken.
I am looking at a 60 gig western dig that died on me last week. I see the ide connector and the others are all connected to the green board. So if you could find a replacement board you would be all set.
Just last week there was a person on here that had to get a board and exchange it, which is very easy. Anyway he was told that he only had to get a drive that was very close to what he had and replace the board. I always thought you had to get the exact same one, and go by the numbers on it.
Well, this person swapped boards and the drive worked for him.
So maybe you could do that?
Best thing to start with would be contact Seagate about which board or boards might work.
Then, join a forum that does buying and selliing of puter parts, tons of them around, and get yourself a replacement.
You can find someone with the same drive but the drive part is dead, like the click of death, but the green board is still ok and they will give or sell it cheap.

Oh ya, sorry, i didnt mean to suggest you put the cable in upside down. Sounds like that, so, again, sorry about that.

Better to be specific on what pin is broken.
The IDE connector on the drive ahould have a black plastic shroud around it. That shroud will have a notch cut in it to fit an interlock protrusion on the IDH header.
With the notch up the #1 pin will be on the top row on the right side, pin 2 on the bottom row. And the pins are counted from tight to left, odds on the top, evens on the bottom.
Once you know what pin is missing you can cut the ribbon cable in such a way as to be able to solder a patch from the cut wire to the board.
May require a VOM to verify the connection you want to make. And it will be difficult to swap the drive between machines as the cable would have to move with it.

Ed Fair
Give the wrong symptoms, get the wrong solutions.

Sorry, but for some reason i was thinking that the broken pin was on the 4 pin power connector, dont know why i did.

I see what Edfair is talking about, great solution, easier than getting another board for that drive, although that would work as well.

The IDE connector pinout is here:
If one of the Ground pins is broken the drive would still work... any other pin, who knows?

If you (or a friend) is handy with a soldering iron you could modify an IDE cable by breaking out the wire for the pin that is broken off and solder it directly to the hard drive circuit board. A job not to be undertaken unless you or a friend have the skills to do this and are really determined to get data off of the drive.

Shouldnt be too hard to do, long as you know how to solder and have the proper tools.

Thanks Folks.....
Gonna give the soldering a shot.....might have to break of a wee-bit of plastic to get some room for soldering....Thanks for your suggestions...taking them in good faith.....anymore are welcome.....gonna get back to u guys..thanks

Yes, let us know how you made out!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back