Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Broken DTS Designer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Waynest

Programmer
Jun 22, 2000
GB
Hello

A few weeks ago we installed some IBM software (Client Access) on our NT4 / SQL 7 machine to allow visibility of data on an AS400.

Installing the software immediately caused problems with the DTS designer on that server. Uninstalling the IBM software hasn't fixed the problem. If I try and design an existing package from the server I get the message:

DTS Designer Error: CoCreateInstance
Class Not Registered

If I try and design the same package from Enterprise Manager installations on other servers or PCs I get the message (there are also similar problems with executing packages)...

The Parameter is Incorrect

BUT...

Just one of our other NT4 / SQL 7 servers allows me to view and execute packages on the problem server without reporting any problem, and I have been keeping things going by using that. I can't see any differences in versions / service packs between the server that allows DTS design and those that don't.

Could anyone suggest the best course of action here?

I despearately don't want the agro of migrating all the DBSs to another server while the problem server is wiped and set up from scratch, but thats the way its looking at the moment :(

Thanks in advance for any help.

Try re-applying the latest Service Pack for SQL Server. The IBM software most likely stepped on the DTS dlls in some fashion. Let us know if this corrects your issue!

Thanks

J. Kusch

Thanks for your reply. I have already applied the latest NT & SQL service packs to no avail.

Any more suggestions?

Could anyone say whether its likely that a re-install of SQL would fix the COM problem, or will a re-install of the OS be necessary?

try resinstalling just the client tools. DTS Designer is strickly client. see if that corrects the problem

I had similar problems after installing Client Access too.
Uninstalling the product or applying service packages does not correct the problem. Installing MDAC 2.6 or later does not fix the problem too.
But I finally found a workaround for this problem.
Try this.
Find your older installation CD's and install an older version of MDAC (I used MDAC 2.0 from an Interdev CD).
You will see the problem is fixed.
Later you can install a recent version of MDAC again.
I don't know exactly why and how, but it works. (better than formatting and reinstalling everything again)
Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back