Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Broke the bosses comp!! Help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jgrimmy

Technical User
Nov 22, 2002
US
My bosses hp 800 mhz pc had the greeting card, no buttons on the taskbar when minimized problem. I followed the directions and removed the programs from uninstall programs. Problem solved, I left a cocky note as to how wise and smart I was.

Another coworker used the computer it locked up, upon restart only 16 colors. It has an onbord s3 savage 133, and hp monitor. Running win 98 SE.

I spent 3 hours downloading drivers, checking the bios, trying different monitors, scf, disabling all startup progs, virus scan and trying everything I could think of. Although I really do not think it has anything to do with what I did it is quite a coincidence.

Another odd behavior is the startup screen that allows you to chose safe mode, normal and stuff is displayed everytime it boots.

I'm in trouble, please help!

Hi,
lol, I know I shouldn't laugh but having been there I know what it is like.

It's hard to fathom exactly what you have tried from your post - But the first thing I would do is boot to safe mode and delete your graphics card driver, then reboot so that windows detects it and reinstalls it.

What is "scf"?

BTW, if all else fails blame the co-worker ;-)

Regards.

Believe it or not I did not try that, but I did think of it about halfway home.... felt pretty stupid.

I meant to type SFC, System File Checker. I must admit I was soo frusterated I had a cocktail while looking for an answer on the net.

My gut feeling is deleting it in safe mode won't help but I am going to try it in the morning.

BTW, I was the one bragging about how I could solve the problem, no matter who I blame it on I'm in deep sh*t!

First, go find that coworker and beat them over the head with a keyboard. ;-) (just kidding)

You may want to remove just about everything from the Device Manager in safe mode and let Windows re-detect it upon the reboot. If all else fails, backup any data files and reload the sucker.
Jennifer Sigman
Unemployed

Jennifer,
Thanks for the advice, my concern is I would owe the boss a keyboard also and I'm soon to be unemployed do to this!

Seriously I wish I would have thought of removing it under safe mode, I was just blinded by frustration.

An additional bit of info: When windows starts I get an error message telling me I have a display problem and it automatically opens display options. The changes I make will not take when rebooted though.

What do you both make of the options for different boot options every time it's booted? I've never encountered this.

Jgrimmy

To check those boot options, go to Start>Run and type MSCONFIG. When that box appears, you will see a button labeled ADVANCED. Click on that and make sure the option to ENABLE STARTUP MENU is unchecked.

As for your boss, I would let him know that virus removal is not a 100% guaranteed action, and let him know you want to spend a little bit more time on it to ensure that you removed it successfully. That should help you out and give you some more time to locate the problem. Enkrypted
A+
Let others know how much help they are by marking the helpful posts.

The option to choose method of booting I would leave to one side until I had sorted the display - It might sort itself out when you sort the display. Until, you discount the connection I think you are chasing shadows.

It might help to know what your co-worker was doing when the machine hung and if it was working ok up to that point.

Enkrypted,
Great minds think alike, I left him one of those little posty notes telling him how fortunate he was I found and removed it for him before any more damage happened! just buying myself time.

I really appreciate all your thoughts on this.

Jgrimmy

WIN98USER,

I had rebooted the comp twice after my amazing "fix" and it worked without a flaw. According to him he was attempting to download a file from a General Motors website (I run the service dept at a GM dealer) and it just locked up.

He couldn't remember what the file was and I could not find any history of where he was.

I agree with you about addressing the display prob first, I'm just not that smart and thought someone might put 2 and 2 together.

Jgrimmy

Thanks for the back-handed compliment, "I'm not that smart either".

lol ;-)

Regards.

We have a saying in the UK, it goes “You don’t want to do that!”

If it was my post on the friendgreet virus that you read and followed the instructions for removal of same, then if all else fails, blame me and my age inflicted dementure.

Although, I must say, I thought I'd got that one right .............. possibly .......... well somewhere about right, depending upon which hand you use for the mouse and the type of keyboard used.

At this desperate point in your career (what is the past tense of career?), I would blame your co-worker.
Regards
Phil

Please tell me if the answer I gave was helpful to you. Without your feedback I don't know if the answer was correct.

YUP,

Phils fault.

I think I'm just going to have to use those pictures of him at the last Christmas party to save my arse, I was hoping to save them for a more financial reason though.

Thanks for all your help, any more thoughts are trulu appreciated. I hope I can contribute something here in the future.

John
[thumbsup2]

John

If you really want to contribute, how about a 90% discount off the retail price of a Vauxhall Senator 2.5 CDi?, right-hand drive of course!

Blackmail????? Such an ugly word.............but a very effective tool. Regards
Phil

Please tell me if the answer I gave was helpful to you. Without your feedback I don't know if the answer was correct.

Phil,

I stated earlier I wasn't that smart, now you're rubbing it in. I'm sure If I knew what you were talking about I'd be very impressed!

I can get you a deal on an Escalade though. (left drive only)

If I get the fricken fracken display prob fixed of course.

If not I'll probably be in a position to serve you a pint on the house.

John

Crustyoldbloke, "what is the past tense of career".

Unemployed.

Just in case anyone is interested, although I cannot imagine why, I'm still employed and solved the problem with extreme knowledge, experience and exprertise.

I tried everything we all agreed on, no luck at all, the computer just would not see anything over 16 colors and told me so.

I found and downloaded the most current drivers (as I did before) plus a util program to install them. After running the install program and rebooting all is well. No one is allowed to touch this computer until I am 100 feet away.

As a side note, I posted this same concern on another un-named website and received exactly one response. I think you will get a kick out of the "tech knowledge" that is outside of this site.

"Sounds to me like you need a video driver but if you already tried that then that isn't it."

(Damn! turns out he was right!!)

You all deserve a big star for your help and consideration, I thank you all.

I look forward to helping out here when I can.

John

Well done and well said John.

Had a look at the Escalade, WO $54K less 90%=£5400=£3600, I'll take it even with LHD.

Perfect-past tense of the verb to career is careered or sacked. Imperfect past tense is was careering or sacking. Pluperfect tense had careered or had sacked, whereas the future tense for John is fantastic, you'll be IT manager next week (don't show the boss man this thread - take ALL the credit yourself).
Regards
Phil

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back