Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Brocade ISL

Status
Not open for further replies.

northwick

Technical User
May 17, 2004
GB
Can someone describe the steps involved in setting up brocade ISLs - switches 12000

This is how you do it on smaller models, I will assume it's the same on the 12000.
Make sure the switches have different domain IDs. You can easily check the Domain ID in the webtools or with the "switchshow" command. If they have the same Domain ID, you must take the switch offline with "switchdisable", and go into configuration mode with "configure". Configure Fabric parameters and enter the new Domain ID. Just go through the other options unchanged and when you're by the prompt again enable the switch with "switchenable".
Now that you have two switches with different domain IDs just plug in a cable between two ports, doesn't matter which ones. The ISL should establish itself automatically.
/charles

Also make sure that each of the switches do not have duplicate alias and zone names.

Currently I have 2 fabrics consisting of the following switches:

Fabric 1 includes:

Switch1 domain id 1
Switch2 domain id 2
Switch5 domain id 3

Fabric 2 includes:

Switch3 domain id 1
Switch4 domain id 2
Switch6 domain id 3

The following will be added to Fabric 1 switch 7 domain id 4 and to Fabric 2 switch 8 domain id 4. I will have 4 ISLs cabled between the new switches and current switches in each Fabric.

Will the addition of the switches & additional ISL's have any impact to the current switches and hosts connected.

Assuming the new switches are factory-fresh and don't have any zoning information in them, you're all set.
One small uncertainty is whether all the switches have the same Core PID format. Older switches had this set to 0, whereas newer have it set to 1 by default. Larger brocade switches (32 ports and above I think) have it set to 1 and it can't be changed. If you have a Silkworm 12000 then I would assume it has Core PID format set to 1.
/charles

How are they currently connected? Are they in a Core-to-Edge configuration or just 3 switches with ISLs?

Your "Hop" count might be a factor. If your target is on switch1 and the host on switch7 you will see some throughput latency due to the number of hops it takes to get there.

It is the 12000. New blades will be inserted to physically create the switch. Core pid is 1.

It is a core-edge config with 3 switches in each fabric. However the edge switches are also 12000's. We are running out of ports hence a new switch needs to be added to each Fabric. As long as no production hosts are affected with access tp storage, when the new switches & ISLs are commisioned everyting should be ok.

Sorry to be a real dingbat what is the specific function of the "Core Switch PIID Format

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back