Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Broadcasting licence question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Belky

Programmer
Mar 25, 2002
US
Hi,
If I have a scheduled report produced in Crystal Reports, I then export this in html and paste this on a company web site, where may people around the company can view this, do I need a broadcasting licence? So I am not exporting this to lots of people physically although many people can view it off the company web site?
Thanx

I wouldn't think so. I would equate that to printing out a page and showing it around. That wouldn't require a newspaper license :)

I would recomend that you contact your Crystal Licence contact - we have been advised that for publication of html from Crystal we will need a broadcast licence and theyre nto cheap.

The broadcast license refers to an automated enterprise-wide report delivery mechanism. If you manually export the report to html and paste it into a web page, a broadcast license isn't required. If you automate it, it is.

Thanks all.
But I want to 'schedule' this html page, but to send it to only one destination. Which just happens to be viewed by the whole company if they wish to do so. What do you all think?

well the process of exporting to html is manual, not automated. This seems to be the fine line and you seem to be to the cheaper side of that line.

No I believe with Crystal Enterprise 8.5 there is scheduling capability for exporting to specified locations whether it be c drive or somewhere on the lan. This can all be automated. This is what I was advised by crystal. I was also advised it would be / could be cheaper to get licences for enterprise rather than broadcasting licences. Some interesting quotes for those of you out there is;
Crystal Enterprise (Processor based licence) = $90,000Aus.
Crystal Enterprise (Concurrent 100 user licence) = $500,000
Crystal Enterprise (named user) = $1150 per head

Broadcasting Licence 0 - 50 users = free
Broadcasting licence 50 - 500 users = $19, 600 Aus.
Broadcasting licence 500 + users = $49, 000 Aus.

And of course these will be cheaper depending on the client's relationship with Crystal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back